Search the forum,

Discuss What tile adhesive to go for? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rhodri

Hi, been looking all day and no closer to finding a suitable adhesive.

It's for bathroom walls, tiling on top of the current glazed tiles on 3 out of the 4 walls. 4th wall tiles have pretty much fallen off so am pulling the others off.

Tiles are 600x300mm and each tile weighs 3.95kgs!

Can't find anything which ticks all three of those boxes. Closest I've found is an evo-stik pre mixed adhesive. Says suitable for on top of tiles and 600x300 but only up to 3.5kgs.

Nothing else seems to come close.

Explores cement based ones but wondering if too difficult for my limited abilities using one of these with shorter pot lifes etc .

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Chris N

TF
Nuneaton
Have you dabbed boards on before?

Its not particularly difficult although there is a knack and learning curve to it. Getting the boards flat and plumb is half the battle. I usually do my own boarding before tiling, but had to get over a badly boarded wall recently that i would have usually just ripped off and started again. Not possible in this instance, so had to spend time levelling out with rapid set and going up a notch size. No fun :(

R

Rhodri

When getting the plaster off... Is this enough or does it all need coming out of each groove and hole in the wall?

Cheers

20171212_145133.jpg

R

Rhodri

Have you dabbed boards on before?

Its not particularly difficult although there is a knack and learning curve to it. Getting the boards flat and plumb is half the battle. I usually do my own boarding before tiling, but had to get over a badly boarded wall recently that i would have usually just ripped off and started again. Not possible in this instance, so had to spend time levelling out with rapid set and going up a notch size. No fun :(

Sorry I only just seen this reply. No I have not done anything like this before. In at the deep end. Fingers crossed

Chris N

TF
Nuneaton
My Mrs old man is a plasterer by trade, nowadays more office based. He said if I get a bag of bonding he will bond it and can tile straight on to the bonding. I'm not so sure? Is that a good idea?

Not really. Better off dabbing on Plaster board and if its done right, you'll have lovely flat and plumb walls that will carry the weight of the tiles.

Q

Qwerty

You have fitted the boards the wrong way around. The Ivory face should be visible. Some say it doesn't matter, but I've seen similar failures when this has been done in the past. Your boards look soaking wet too and at this time of the year it can take a while for it to all dry out depending how wet the drywall adhesive was and the humidity in the room.

Reply to What tile adhesive to go for? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays