Search the forum,

Discuss Uneven backerboard. Advice? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi
Ive recently embarked on a mental mission to tile my bathroom despite no prior experience. I’ve tried my best to prepare the tile surface. so, stripped everything back to bare brick, primed and stuck elements backer board on. Much ti my annoyance, I’ve not managed ti get it perfectly flat vertically. It’s out over a span of 1.8m by 3mm. What’s the best way of dealing with this? Adhesive on walls with a notched trowel and back buttering on tiles?
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

PS in the internal corners, is it best to leave an expansion gap? If so, any general recommendation

eddcottee

Arms
Ipswich
That's not too big an issue mate, just sort it out with your adhesive. What size are your tiles? You might be wise to use levelling clips and wedges to get everything bang on. Yes, trowel the adhesive onto the walls and then back butter the tiles.

Yes, you need to leave and expansion gap in the corners of a few mm. Then rather than grouting that joint, run a bead of silicone along it.

That's not too big an issue mate, just sort it out with your adhesive. What size are your tiles? You might be wise to use levelling clips and wedges to get everything bang on. Yes, trowel the adhesive onto the walls and then back butter the tiles.

Yes, you need to leave and expansion gap in the corners of a few mm. Then rather than grouting that joint, run a bead of silicone along it.
Hi mate, many thanks for responding. The tiles will be 600x300. Intention was to use levellers. Not decided on the exact ones. But, plain white glazed is my preference. I'll have to stick to ceramic as one of the walls is plastered blockwork, so weight restriction is a major limit. 20kg sqm? Any tips on what to look out for when selecting tiles? Happy to pay more if it's worth doing.
Cheers.

Reply to Uneven backerboard. Advice? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views

Advertisement