Search the forum,

Discuss To mitre or not to mitre, that is the question! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

As above. As a DIY’er what would be the best way to cut the square edge type polished metal tile trims?
I have normal tin snips, hacksaws and even one of those Evolution compound angle chop saws that cuts through steel and alsorts-but will the blade bash the trim to bits?
Would I be better cutting a mitre or cutting them straight and butting them together? Thanks in advance for your time.

Mitres always look better than butting them, I use the small evolution chop saw with a fine cut blade, be careful when cutting as it can flick the trim out so I always use a scrap piece of wood and clamp the trim down.

By the way. I’ve just been looking at Screwfix for blades. I notice they do a diamond blade that cuts slate and roof tiles. Is there a suitable blade for cutting porcelain tiles then? My father in law lent me his Erbaur electric tile saw but even with a new blade the tile edges were chipping. It was like the blade was kicking it’s way through the tile instead of cutting it!

G

GoneGuy

By the way. I’ve just been looking at Screwfix for blades. I notice they do a diamond blade that cuts slate and roof tiles. Is there a suitable blade for cutting porcelain tiles then? My father in law lent me his Erbaur electric tile saw but even with a new blade the tile edges were chipping. It was like the blade was kicking it’s way through the tile instead of cutting it!
Have a look on page sponsor @Pro Tiler Tools website, or even @ATSDiamondTools,
They have a good stock of blades suitable.

Interesting. I would have a go if I could be sure of a decent thin edge. I’ve got plenty of spare tiles as I over calculated so could afford to **** a couple up.
I would have to get a decent blade for the though as the ones I tried on the table cutter weren’t too impressive.

EDIT: I’ve just realised I’d struggle with the chop saw as the maximum cut is 300 and the long side of the tiles is 600.

Last edited:
O

Old Mod

Interesting. I would have a go if I could be sure of a decent thin edge. I’ve got plenty of spare tiles as I over calculated so could afford to **** a couple up.
I would have to get a decent blade for the though as the ones I tried on the table cutter weren’t too impressive.
You would use an angle grinder.
Trying to mitre on table cutter would be a difficult task.

Reply to To mitre or not to mitre, that is the question! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays