Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling over existing vinyl flooring glue/adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

statia

-
UK
Hi all,

I'm going to put ceramic tiles down over a concrete floor which has previously had clear looking vinyl flooring glued down onto it as can be seen in the attachment.

Am I ok to scrape off any high points and tile down onto it using the Norcros flexible adhesive (after priming with SBR) that I have or will I need to do more to prep the floor before I start tiling?

Thanks!

Floor.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd get a house brick and rub it all over the floor loads to take off the top layer, then prime with acrylic primer (not PVA) and then tile it with whatever you get your hands on locally.

How big is the floor?

Some tile adhesive brand info here: Most Used Tile Adhesive Brands from 2007 to 2019 - https://www.tilersforums.co.uk/most-used-tile-adhesive-brands-from-2007-to-2019/212/
BAL have come out top a few times over the years. Mapei, Tilemaster and Weber have too. All good adhesives so shop around to see what works out cheapest for you.

Reply to Tiling over existing vinyl flooring glue/adhesive in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am about to waterproof an existing shower after taking out all of the old tiles and old mud waterproofing. From what I see there is an existing drainage. The idea is to clean everything...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays