Search the forum,

Discuss SLC over a large floor prior to tiling in the Tiling Jobs | Find a Tiler - Post Tiling Work Here area at TilersForums.com.

C

CheshireChap

Hi,

We have a new extension, 45m2 with wet underfloor (commissioned) and screened 4 months ago. This joins onto the existing kitchen which is concrete base.

Kitchen will have elec underfloor. Tiles are 1m2 porcelain 6mm thick (thin!). Kitchen area 24m2.

The new floor is pretty good but highest point in one corner is 5mm proud. In kitchen there is a small area 20mm out of true.

Tiler wants a perfectly level surface and says an average SLC of 6-8mm should do it.

Any recommendations for a firm to do this for us?

D

Dumbo

Hi,

We have a new extension, 45m2 with wet underfloor (commissioned) and screened 4 months ago. This joins onto the existing kitchen which is concrete base.

Kitchen will have elec underfloor. Tiles are 1m2 porcelain 6mm thick (thin!). Kitchen area 24m2.

The new floor is pretty good but highest point in one corner is 5mm proud. In kitchen there is a small area 20mm out of true.

Tiler wants a perfectly level surface and says an average SLC of 6-8mm should do it.

I would push it on the tiler because if he is not happy with it its his puppy . If he can't do it find somebody that can do both as you don't want two contractors blaming each other if it doesn't go as planned and you getting caught in the middle

S

Spare Tool

Hi,

Has the new area been screeded higher than the Kitchen area, or level with it?...if your putting ins boards and elec ufh down this is going to leave the new area around 12-14mill lower unless its already been compensated for..which over 45 sqm is gonna add up to around 60 bags of slc..

S

Spare Tool

new floor screeded to same height as kitchen. All areas will be covered with durabase and an additional 6mm insulation over the kitchen. So the only difference in height will be the insulation and the adhesive for it - some of which will be compensated for in the new room by the high points.

Hence our guesstimate of an average of 8mm over whole area.
6mm insulation boards plus adhesive plus ufh cables plus an encapsulating slc over wires adds up to a lot more than 8mm..

H

hmtiling

new floor screeded to same height as kitchen. All areas will be covered with durabase and an additional 6mm insulation over the kitchen. So the only difference in height will be the insulation and the adhesive for it - some of which will be compensated for in the new room by the high points.

Hence our guesstimate of an average of 8mm over whole area.
You'll have the 6mm plus the 5mm of latex needed to encapsulate the heating element.
I'd speak with Dural but a thin or void free decoupler might be the best way to go with 6mm thick/thin tiles

C

CheshireChap

6mm insulation boards plus adhesive plus ufh cables plus an encapsulating slc over wires adds up to a lot more than 8mm..

I did say an 'average' of 8mm. The UFH cables, as you know, sit inside the dural, not proud of it.

It is a big job, we've no illusions about that - there's another 35m2 of hall etc tiles once the new/kitchen bit is done.

Reply to SLC over a large floor prior to tiling in the Tiling Jobs | Find a Tiler - Post Tiling Work Here area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed most of our floor to accommodate tiling 800x800 porcelain over an uneven floor. The gap from defrac...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber floor in our barn conversion. The area is large, 21m x 8m. Having spoken to various UFH suppliers I...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement