Search the forum,

Discuss Removing anti-crack matting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

wiggers

I had a very poor tiling job done in the summer by a general builder and I've got a professional tiler in at the moment. The tiles came up very easily but there's and anti-crack mat underneath. We've found a lot of water under this mat, so we want to lift it and let the screed dry properly. It was laid when the screed was only 4 weeks old.

Any suggestion for getting the matting and underlying adhesive off the screed please?

IMG_20200106_110914.jpg

IMG_20200106_144616.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
It's going to be a pain in the bum with any method but scrapers and old chisels and the likes are perhaps going to be easiest. Lots of elbow grease and patience.

If you (or your tiler) has a Fein Multimaster or one of the many variations from other makes (Bosch and even Lidl own brand) with the rasp square head that can help on the odd stubborn bit.

Then for the last bits of adhesive rub house bricks over the floor - very dusty job so then an old hoover and open windows etc

Good luck second time round!

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Maidstone
I had a very poor tiling job done in the summer by a general builder and I've got a professional tiler in at the moment. The tiles came up very easily but there's and anti-crack mat underneath. We've found a lot of water under this mat, so we want to lift it and let the screed dry properly. It was laid when the screed was only 4 weeks old.

Any suggestion for getting the matting and underlying adhesive off the screed please?

View attachment 111681

View attachment 111680
You could try rip up the matting it should pull up with a bit of effort and a floor scraper and then get a floor grinder for the adhesive and a good dust extractor

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Co.Durham
I don't recall the exact sequence, but I think the UFH was commissioned after tiling. There were professional plumbers installing a new boiler and making the connections to the UFH pipework.
That doesn’t mean it was commissioned correctly, if the heat was just turned straight on without a slow progression in heating up , this could be reason the tiles came away easily , shocked the adhesive, just a thought.

Reply to Removing anti-crack matting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays