Search the forum,

Discuss PVA plasterboard or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

this is sbr
sbr.jpg

O

obobsmith

Hi I have just read the instructions and it reads: Prime porous surfaces with 1 part unibond PVA diluted with 5 parts water and allow to dry. Seal with solvent based primer.

DO NOT put PVA on the board, erase the word from your mind as far as tiling is concerned, shame on the addy manufacturer for suggesting this should be done.:yikes::yikes:

D

dock

Very strange for a manufacturer to advocate the use of a PVA primer indeed a primer at all with a ready mixed adhesive. PVA is water sensitive and will reconstitute as the water contained within the adhesive hits it. This can also affect bond development at the adhesive/substrate interface leading to the formation of a much weaker bond than should be the case.

Normally when tiling with ready mixed adhesives its a good idea NOT to prime. Most decent ready mixed contain water retaining agents to control suction on porous surfaces so if you prime the drying time of the adhesive will be significantly extended because the polymer cannot start the cross linking process until water/moisture is lost from the adhesive. Where primimg is required i.e. particularly dusty plaster use a dilute acrylic or styrene butadiene rubber (sbr)

O

obobsmith

did my bathroom about a year n a half ago, all green plasterboard and its been fine, no priming, just straight onto the board. that was a tub adhesive.

rodgerq
Tubbed adhesive is fine without priming on plasterboard as long as the tiles are not too big. Green plasterboard is water resistant and whilst it may be fine it is like untanked PB not a long term solution it will get wet it will degrade and it should in an ideal world still be tanked round showers baths etc.

Reply to PVA plasterboard or not? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.