Search the forum,

Discuss New member,started my own business again. Helping hand from government in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Handyeire

Hi all! Ive just joined and thought id pop in to say hello. Ive been a handyman builder most my life and took a few years out when the recession hit in 2008/9 here in Ireland, now I've just started up my own business again since things are picking up a bit, thou if im totally honest, things still very slow compared to the UK. One thing I've got going for me is that i get a weekly income of 208euro for my first 2 years in business from the government to help me get started. Ive also got 2500euro grant for tools,advertising, computer/laptop etc... There are some jobs out there at the moment but i thought id take a chance in setting up again seeing I'm getting help from the government.

For my tools ill have 1000euro and although ive most of my tiling tools in, ive came across the tiling tracker for setting tiles out instead of using battens. What i want to know is there anyone on here that uses this and how do they find it compared to using the tried and tested batten method.

Ive also seen a lazer level , its the Bosh gtl3 and again, can anyone give me the pros and cons of this item. Maybe i could even grab the DW088k if it was of any use for tiling though in saying that, i haven't looked into it much.

Ive done pretty well over the years without needing any of these items, but since i can get these on the grant, i might aswell get them while its free if it'll speed my work up more. I know one thing, i deserve them for the taxes I've paid in past years lol.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
Re: New member,started my own business again. Helping hand from govern

I never use battons any more.....just a decent non slip adhesive. ...or cut the bottom row in first..
Ain't got a lazer either ...lol
Spirit levels and stright edges work for me.
I would spend the money on decent cutters or marketing.

Last edited:
H

Handyeire

Hi,

Are the grants available to the whole of the UK or just Ireland? (I'm assuming you're in Northern Ireland)

Doug

Sorry doug, its just in the south. The irish government have been getting slated because of their policies in recent years but i cant fault them here because getting a weekly income along with this grant for tools is a great help for guys like myself in construction trying to start up again. I know one thing, we desperately need it because times where and still are hard here. Ive seen guys who have been on site 30 years not lift their tools for 2 years.

H

Handyeire

I never use battons any more.....just a decent non slip adhesive. ...or cut the bottom row in first..

Using battens is what ive always been used to TBH. Any tiler i know prefers this method also.

W

White Room

Sorry doug, its just in the south. The irish government have been getting slated because of their policies in recent years but i cant fault them here because getting a weekly income along with this grant for tools is a great help for guys like myself in construction trying to start up again. I know one thing, we desperately need it because times where and still are hard here. Ive seen guys who have been on site 30 years not lift their tools for 2 years.

Heard from an Irish lad over here that alot of houses they built in the heydays are now being knocked down and returning the land to agriculture...

D

dougmontgomery

Well, your government sounds a sight better than the shower we have here. Hope it all goes well for you! :smilewinkgrin:

D

dougmontgomery

Just realised the clue is in your username: Handyeire

Doh! Excuse my stupidity (my heads not right today)

M

Mr Tiler

i think he means using a batton for setting out the tiles andy... not actually resting a course of tiles on. all i need now for setting out is a level and a tape measure.

H

Handyeire

i think he means using a batton for setting out the tiles andy... not actually resting a course of tiles on. all i need now for setting out is a level and a tape measure.

I do mean setting tiles on. When tiling I mark out where tile go then rest the tiles on until im finished then pull batten off and fill in with my cuts. Its just what ive been used to TBH.

H

Handyeire

Heard from an Irish lad over here that alot of houses they built in the heydays are now being knocked down and returning the land to agriculture...

Yeah that's true, ghost estates we call them over here. Really sad to see even worse when weve a massive housing need here in the country where ordinary hard working families are being made homeless with the recent rent increases.

D

Deleted member 1779

BFKMX6.jpg

H

Handyeire

I used to screw batten on wall but stopped doing that a few years ago. Now I start from cut. How do you go about setting tiles of without batten or cut. Is the tile just sitting on wall. If so what adhesive are you using that gets that type of hold . Cheers

Me, I've never tried tiling without a batten but I always thought if I started without a cut, the tiles would move slightly and knock all my tiles out and end up chasing trying to keep all lines plumb and level. Any other tiler I know or worked with has always used the batten method.

Has anyone got a video or make one of their methods, would be really interested in seeing it.

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am sure there are Tilers throughout the south of Ireland cheering to the rafters that their taxes are being spent on DIYers wanting the easy way!
Whats wrong with earning your money and using that to buy your fancy tools and doing it the correct way - then you can call it your own business.

H

Handyeire

I'am sure there are Tilers throughout the south of Ireland cheering to the rafters that their taxes are being spent on DIYers wanting the easy way!
Whats wrong with earning your money and using that to buy your fancy tools and doing it the correct way - then you can call it your own business.

I'm surprised it took so long for a post like this but there's always one to pop up with it.

Me, I have all my own tools and always have done since i started out 22 years ago but if I am entitled to some help starting up my business again then I'll be grabing it with both hands. I have gave my fair share over the years with taxes and IMO I wouldn't mind some more in grants, better in my hands or others starting businesses rather than some aul farmer turned politician who's only job in government is to syphon money for himself and the people around him to hide in offshore accounts. At least I'll be paying back into the coffers once I start earning again!!!

P.s, I can assure you I'm no diyer ;)

T

Time's Ran Out

Having never not used a batten to tile in 22 years you gave the impression of a DIY expert!
As for the attitude that you are entitled - that may be why your country is where it is now.
Why rub it in the nose of those that just get on and provide for their own without all the handouts and keep your thread to tiling advice - then you won't get replies 'like this' which in an open forum are here for discussion and opinion.
Still it must be Xmas - humbug.

H

Handyeire

Having never not used a batten to tile in 22 years you gave the impression of a DIY expert!
As for the attitude that you are entitled - that may be why your country is where it is now.
Why rub it in the nose of those that just get on and provide for their own without all the handouts and keep your thread to tiling advice - then you won't get replies 'like this' which in an open forum are here for discussion and opinion.
Still it must be Xmas - humbug.

Using battens for 18 years legit and 4 years messing about doesn't make me an amateur DIYer, I'm just set in my ways and its always paid the bills. No one has ever suggested I work differently and not one complaint on my work.

What method is it you do when tiling. Do you just start of with your cuts or a different method?

H

Handyeire

That dos'nt make sense:thumbsdown:

Below is a few images of said ghost estates which we have in every town,city in ireland. Some towns are over run with them. We also have a massive housing need in this country where weve examples of married cples with kids having to move back into the grandparents home. In most cities here in the country there are hard working families that cant afford the rent because after our hosuing crisis, rents have went through the roof and in dublin for example, rent for a basic house in some areas is 1200-1500euro a month when just a few years ago they where 800euro. Anyone who has lost their job recently who has lived in dublin their entire life and cant get a job has to move away from their area because the government has put a cap on the rent that will be paid on social welfare, thou many have ended up on the street because cant get accommodated elsewhere in the country. We have familes of 4 and 5 stuck in hotels for over a year paid for by the government because theres no where to put them. Our little wee island goes from one disaster to the next and its a sad state of affairs.

All this could be sorted out if the government (who owns said ghost estates) if they would just finish the houses and house these families. What makes it even more comical is that they have spent more money in not doing the sensible thing with these estates. Same government has just spent over half billion trying to set up a company to charge us for water TWICE!! Thou in saying all this, i cant fault them with the BTWEA that im now on, at least ill have some nice shiny tools when turning up for work,lol.

OB-KJ282_2ghost_F_20101007051944.jpg

5658685251_56110cb28f_z.jpg

ghost-estates_2.jpg

Ghost-estate-longford.jpg

Reply to New member,started my own business again. Helping hand from government in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement