Search the forum,

Discuss How To Get Faster At Wall And Floor Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I did a lot of conservatory floors and they were a God send. Those are quick for even a new tiler if it's prepared well and the cutting is quick.

But the fiddly bathrooms with dodgy walls can set a quick tiler miles in front of your average one let alone a rookie as you put it.

I couldn't tile bathrooms that quick. About average I'd guess. But I can cut quick. Did they for years and only that and grouting.

Somerset
The tradition is that it takes about 10,000 hours to become a skilled worker. If you work a 40 hour week for 48 weeks a year, after 5 years you will have 9,600 hours experience.

Your speed will improve, but not noticeably after just 256 hours tiling (4 bathrooms taking 8 days).

I completed a short tiling course. I've done my 10,000 hours, and learnt from a lot of mistakes. My first few bathrooms took 7 or 8 days too. I can now tile 16m bathroom in about a day and a half (if no complications) but often spend as much as a day on prep, and a half day grouting and finishing. A big boost to my speed came from working with other experienced tilers. Some very simple tips can make a massive difference to your speed - but I will leave you to get that experience for yourself!

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Then again, I'm only on my 4th bathroom, so I suppose I shouldn't be too hard on myself :)

Nope, that's tiling and grouting alone, sure prepping would take longer and sure porcelains would do too, let alone large ones...
the more hours you put in the quicker you learn but learning on your own is a long hard road with great cost to you and your clients you need to take a step back .you can read the info a thousand times and still get it wrong .and watch it once and get it right .you need to be a labour to a tiler and work for at least a year on a pittance .it may seem like you are a slave but your eyes buy what you see .as a second note i have had tilers working for me that would tile a bathroom in a day and tilers that would take 3 days who left the best job they each did .its the finish job that matters not the time .when you get to work turn off the mobile .do you realy need to know that sharon just had her hair cut

J

Just Rizzle

the more hours you put in the quicker you learn but learning on your own is a long hard road with great cost to you and your clients you need to take a step back .you can read the info a thousand times and still get it wrong .and watch it once and get it right .you need to be a labour to a tiler and work for at least a year on a pittance .it may seem like you are a slave but your eyes buy what you see .as a second note i have had tilers working for me that would tile a bathroom in a day and tilers that would take 3 days who left the best job they each did .its the finish job that matters not the time .when you get to work turn off the mobile .do you realy need to know that sharon just had her hair cut
watch and learn only way I did it years ago watching a gang of irish lads I got all the crap jobs but it learnt me a lot some want to earn the money with out putting in the hours

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Aston

if you want to get faster work with some ''good'' time served pros! they will give you some valuable tips and they will push you harder than you'll push yourself. you will struggle to keep up, but thats the whole point.

practice is the obvious answer but you can put 10,000 hours in and be doing things counter productively so its always good to work with a pro, so you know you are doing things correctly.

Simons70

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Luton
IMO if you are lucky to work with some good tiler,in 2 years you learn enough for go faster.If you work alone,need more time and more mistakes.I was really lucky to work with one good teacher,who learn from his father,and have 40 years experience,day by day,even Sunday,never Holiday,If not go to work Sunday,we work in his garage to clean tools,some time to modified or invent tools for next day work.After 2 years day by day with him,I was pretty sure I'm never become a good tiler,everything I do was not right,and show me one better way to do it quick and better.After I start the first job alone I was really impressed by how growing my skills,I start one big floor,aprox 400sqm ,300x300 brick.I fit every day 80 sqm alone,talk to myself and follow the good advice received ,start at 7.30 and finish at 5 o'clock.6 bags adhesive before launch and 6 bags after launch.So,alone even after 5 years you can't achieve the same experience like you can receive in 2 years if you work with good tiler.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

IMO if you are lucky to work with some good tiler,in 2 years you learn enough for go faster.If you work alone,need more time and more mistakes.I was really lucky to work with one good teacher,who learn from his father,and have 40 years experience,day by day,even Sunday,never Holiday,If not go to work Sunday,we work in his garage to clean tools,some time to modified or invent tools for next day work.After 2 years day by day with him,I was pretty sure I'm never become a good tiler,everything I do was not right,and show me one better way to do it quick and better.After I start the first job alone I was really impressed by how growing my skills,I start one big floor,aprox 400sqm ,300x300 brick.I fit every day 80 sqm alone,talk to myself and follow the good advice received ,start at 7.30 and finish at 5 o'clock.6 bags adhesive before launch and 6 bags after launch.So,alone even after 5 years you can't achieve the same experience like you can receive in 2 years if you work with good tiler.
spot on

Reply to How To Get Faster At Wall And Floor Tiling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays