Search the forum,

Discuss How do I learn about the british standards of tiling? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jond500

Can't really disagree with Dave.

My trade took a 4 year Engineering apprenticeship, then spent another 3 years at night school adding skills. IMO any practical trade can only be learnt by learning the theory bit by bit then applying it over several years until you qualify having come across most issues and problems and then figuring from experience how best to address them.

I'm not a tiler but most people think you can learn a trade on a 2-5 week course in perfect conditions... You don't pay a skilled craftsman for doing the job, you pay them for knowing how to do the job exceptionally well, identifying problems, applying experience and a whole host of other skills that cannot be taught.

M

Mr T

Couldnt agree more... but i am already a late starter so i want to learn on the job for now so i can start getting paid asap... and i dont mean in a week or 2 i mean when i feel im ready... a lot of people would need 2-4 years training cuz there thick and have no common sense (not onabout you mate).. i am confident enough to say that when i find my place i will be a cery confident tiler within 1-2 years and thats not because im big headed its because i know i will put my all in once im given the chance too.

Somerset
I have to buy cutters, trowels, levels, and buckets to do my job as a tiler. In fact I cannot do the job without them. They are my tools to do my work - oh and I had to buy BS5385 as a reference. Learn all you like about tiling - BS5385 gets updated regularly (standards change) and to do your job as a tiler you should be working to these standards and you need to keep abreast of the changes. So why gripe if you have to invest a bit of money to ensure you do your job correctly? Would you rather use a £300 Sigma/Rubi/Montolit cutter or a £30 Tilerite plastic cutter to do your job every day?

Reply to How do I learn about the british standards of tiling? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays