Search the forum,

Discuss DIY overlay boards for ufh in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hey guys.

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've got 42mm between my current concrete slab (insulated) and my desired final floor level (tiles)

How do I overlay my pipes?

Is there a thin screed that can be applied over the pipes?

Alternatively I was thinking of making some DIY overlay boards. I got the idea after reading about chipboard overlay boards and thought that I could make overlay boards out of plywood.

I would cut 18mm plywood in strips of 200mm and wedge the 16mm pipes in between each strip.

Each strip would be screwed into the concrete.

The plywood would then be primed and tiles laid directly onto the plywood.

The pipes would have plywood on both sides, concrete underneath and tiles directly above.

The total amount of space that needs underfloor heating and tiling is 4.5 sq m

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ES

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Reply to DIY overlay boards for ufh in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views

Advertisement