Search the forum,

Discuss Anybody Had A Customer "peg It" Before Invoicing? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Surrey
I had a customer die just prior to final payment for the job. I built a new house for this old boy and he moved in and all was good - two weeks later had a last meeting with the architect to finalise the bill and the poor old chap was dead on the floor.

We'd rung the bell but couldn't get an answer so sat in the motor chatting, minutes later there was a frantic bashing on the window from the cleaner who had let herself in and found him face down.

Poor old sod only got to enjoy his new place for just two weeks.

L

LM

I've just done a major refit on a bar, £40k's worth, builder was rushed into hospital 3 weeks into an 8 week project. I know the man personally and done the work in good faith, he's still not good and the job is complete. To say I'm cramping myself is an understatement and I feel guilty as hell worrying about money when the man is fighting for his life. He's one of the best customers I've ever had, always pays the very moment I hand him an invoice. For him, his family I hope he makes it.
It's strange that I read this post just at this time!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Had one one not long after I started on my own. I used to give 10 working days for payment, I knew the guy was poorly but didn't think he was close to meeting his maker when I was there. When I rang about payment the wife told me he had died. I felt awful and just said pay once you have had the funeral as it's the least of your worries and she was fine about it and sent a cheque as I'd asked.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
When I'm liking posts on this topic I'm very aware of the sensitivity of it all, I want to approve of a post maybe, but I don't mean to demean anything by liking it if you get what I'm saying

Don't worry, the person who it's about won't get to read it :babyangel::cloud:

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
I had a job booked in for a guy who lived on his own..........had previously worked for him before.......anyway, I was booked in to do his en-suite. Ordered the metal trims the week before, then heard through the grapevine, that the blokes parents let themselves into his house, after not being able to get an answer, and he had hung himself from the roof joists.......there he was hanging from the loft hatch.

Good job I had another job I could slip in.

O

One Day

I did a disabled conversion wet-room last year for a really nice old guy who had late stage parkinson's disease.
He wanted the best, so it was all Schluter Ditra Heat-E, Kerdi-line wet tray, DuraVit sanitary ware etc etc.
My wife gave birth to our son halfway through the job so instead of 2 weeks it ended up taking 5 (i had some time off!)
He was delighted with the job but only got to use it a couple of times before he died.
And I felt a bit guilty about taking time off :(

Reply to Anybody Had A Customer "peg It" Before Invoicing? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays