Search the forum,

Discuss why work in a shop/training centre? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

scrubmuncher

If you have the knowledge to go self emplyed and obviously the contacts, and the money is apparently so good if you can do it all, why work in a shop or training centre. Obviously if you own the shop or training centre then the moneys may be better, but some of the numbers bounced around on here I find it hard to believe (although maybe you can) you can make as much working as assistant in either?

Explain!!

scrub:shades_smile:

G

grumpygrouter

Having the knowledge to go self employed is not the same as having the ability. Being in business requires unique skills and a certain type of mindset. Not all people have this. There may be people that are really good at a particular trade or type of work but can not get passed not having the security of a "regular job". Equally some people need to be led all the time though they have excellent skills in their chosen profession.

I wonder if you post is directed towards the likes of Gaz@topps who, quite obviously knows what he is doing with tiling but is working in retail. In his case it may just simply be "bad knees". Other people may just fancy a change. It is not always about money.

Grumpy

E

enduro

Well said grumpy, I still run a landscape business which i love in the summer, but hate getting wet in the winter, doing both suits me fine. Building a bridge over a guys stream today he asked if i kept busy in the winter, so i told him i do tiling and he couldn't believe it, anyway came away with a 32sq stone floor to tile in Oct. Jack of all trades and im proud of it...

D

DHTiling

If you have the knowledge to go self emplyed and obviously the contacts, and the money is apparently so good if you can do it all, why work in a shop or training centre. Obviously if you own the shop or training centre then the moneys may be better, but some of the numbers bounced around on here I find it hard to believe (although maybe you can) you can make as much working as assistant in either?

Explain!!

scrub:shades_smile:

Any reason behind this thread scrubs or are you interested in becoming an assistant yourself.......dave.......:)

S

scrubmuncher

Well said grumpy, I still run a landscape business which i love in the summer, but hate getting wet in the winter, doing both suits me fine. Building a bridge over a guys stream today he asked if i kept busy in the winter, so i told him i do tiling and he couldn't believe it, anyway came away with a 32sq stone floor to tile in Oct. Jack of all trades and im proud of it...

Good stuff Enduro mate, but not really what I was getting at. I think we all have to turn our hand or are skilled in other areas to make the quieter months or the times we need a change barable, even to get by I reckon multiskilled is an almost must.
My point was, why do people choose to work for apparently around 50% of the money people are claiming they can make self employed.
I mean I talk to the lads all the time when picking my products up and thier knowledge is outrageous, I just wonder, well if this business is as good as people tend to pretend then why are you in here and not out there.
Telling people constantly, go out, hunt down clients, kick doors down, do this, do that and you will find good money at the end of it is good advice but not gauranteed, and infact a good living, tiling alone, not likely although some do manage.
I'm just asking is this the reason, security.

S

scrubmuncher

Any reason behind this thread scrubs or are you interested in becoming an assistant yourself.......dave.......:)

I dunno really, I've had a holiday and had time to think about the hours I put in for the rewards and quality of life. I work between tiling and schematics and am making the same from 20% of my time compared to tiling, and the hours...... Maybe a changing point for me, I get so involved that I often fall asleep with a picture of little old mr jones in my mind asking me if I do a special rate for pensioners, and considering what kinda discount I may give if any. Or planning a mosaic in my mind for the next day.
I wanna go to sleep thinking of sexy women, not bloody tiling, lol.

Or maybe its just getting back to work after a holiday and I'll soon switch back to robot mode:shades_smile:

F

Fekin

Knowing how something should be done is very often different to being able to actually do it.
Some people will most probably only learn while working in a shop, so they may be very good on the theory, but have never or hardly ever put it into practise.

People who work in the tile shops and know how to tile often moonlight on evenings and weekends, and make a nice chunk that way too.

Just because you see people who seem to know their stuff in either shops or course centers, don't mean they never get out there themselves.

They could have had a lifetime tiling, got bored with doing it full time, and just dabble when it suits.

P

penno

My dad teaches asphalting in a college mainly because he prefers that type of work in his field now a days. Very good at his job, won asphalts equivilent of skillbuild 3 years on the trot in the early 80s (can't remember its name will ask him tomorrow). Made a lot of money out of his career but earns a lot less now teaching, cash doesn't bother him though as he has enough put away from what he earnt in his "prime". Basically reason he is now in the kind of work he is, is because of his passion for it, wants to share his skills with others and teach them some of what he knows. Think everyone has there own reason why they would like to teach or work in a retail shop, don't see any bad in it. Good luck to them.

Reply to why work in a shop/training centre? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.