Discuss Which subfloor should I us in my bathroom? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello all,

I need some advice please. I recently had a contractor in to remodel my bathroom. However, we fell out on the first day of the works because he did not want to agree to remove the waste from the works he would have been doing even though he had advised me to get a skip for the waste. Very odd indeed.

Anyway, before we parted ways he told me to purchase Water Resistant (WR) MDF for the subfloor (I think this is what it was for). Now I am doing it myself I wanted to know whether WR MDF is indeed the correct material to use for my bathroom subfloor before I tile it? I know I need to protect my bathroom from moisture, so this seems sensible but, is this actually what the professionals would advise? What is the industry standard? What should I be using as a good waterproof subfloor before tiling? Also do I need anything like tile backer board on the concerete wall adjacent to the shower (this will not get wet or as wet as the wall on the shower) before tiling?

Any help would be greatly received.

Thank you. :)

Roxdec

-
Reaction score
Hi, you can’t tile MDF. You should be putting down marine ply, consider using 6mm backer board and even a matting substrate to help stop any tiles from cracking. Before you put down your marine ply, your floor joists should be tied with noggins to help prevent any movement that might cause the tiles to crack. I’m currently doing a bathroom and will be lifting the old floorboards and replacing them with 18mm marine ply. If you are working on a concrete substrate then your approach will be different.

Reply to Which subfloor should I us in my bathroom? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks