Search the forum,

Discuss What tile adhesive to go for? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rhodri

Hi, been looking all day and no closer to finding a suitable adhesive.

It's for bathroom walls, tiling on top of the current glazed tiles on 3 out of the 4 walls. 4th wall tiles have pretty much fallen off so am pulling the others off.

Tiles are 600x300mm and each tile weighs 3.95kgs!

Can't find anything which ticks all three of those boxes. Closest I've found is an evo-stik pre mixed adhesive. Says suitable for on top of tiles and 600x300 but only up to 3.5kgs.

Nothing else seems to come close.

Explores cement based ones but wondering if too difficult for my limited abilities using one of these with shorter pot lifes etc .

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

R

Rhodri

Yes plastered some years ago. What is my best bet then? Cost wise mainly but ease too?

Take tiles back and get smaller/lighter ones and continue with plan or keep tiles and knock the whole lot off and tile over the walls? Or get it remastered soon. Was hoping wouldn't have to get it plastered. And the Mrs friend in work said this way was feasible, knew the guy was full of it when he did a job for us before which was terrible!

Cheers

R

Rookery

Ignoring all other aspects of the proposed job, you need a cement based powdered adhesive you mix with water. Mapei Adesilex P would be my choice. Its not dear and has a long pot life. The rest of the job is full of ifs buts and maybes. I wouldn't bother to re-plaster. You're paying for another trade and a finish you're going to cover up. Your best bet might be to overboard all the walls with plasterboard, tank as required then crack on with your 60 x 30's.

G

GoneGuy

I would recommend knocking all old tiles off, reboard with plasterboard and use a cement board in wet area/shower.
Doing this will give you a nice flat surface for you to start off.
As said in other posts use a cement based (powder) adhesive and mix with a paddle mixer in a flexi tub and make sure you follow mixing guides on the bag.
As with trowel size 10mm should be good as if you re board you will have a nice flat surface so you won’t have to pack out any tiles.

R

Rhodri

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rhodri

Well I'm pulling it off. Window wall I could basically pull off with my hands so very lucky didn't tile straight over that!

Plaster seems to be coming off easier than it Should, especially in window recess

20171209_113141.jpg 20171209_113617.jpg 20171209_114346.jpg 20171209_115519.jpg 20171209_115516.jpg

Reply to What tile adhesive to go for? in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays