Search the forum,

Discuss What can cause this type of damage in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

It this type of cracks and chipping normal to this type of tile ? Only occurs along the vein. What can be the causes ? This happens in the properties that I was renting and I hardly use this area. Landlord is accusing me of damaging the tile. There have been some foundation jacking done to the property could this be the reason. Can this be fixed ?
Broken Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

I take it the building was sinking on it's foundation, depending on the tile preparation the jacking would'nt help with any minor movement.
The lines/fissures are weak areas in the stone tile...

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
It could be a few things that can cause that sort of damage:

1. You are using a hammer and chisel to damage the tiles! (joke........but it is a possibility).
2. The tile is not of a high standard i.e. low grade or seconds.
3. The tile was not back buttered whilst it was being laid.
4. The tiler dot and dabbed the tiles to the floor and there are now voids under the tile. Tiles should have a solid bed of adhesive behind them.
5. There is movement in the floor.

How to remedy the situation:
1. Rip up affected tiles and re-lay new ones.
2. If there are only a couple of tiles then a colour matched resin can be used to fill the gaps.

Without knowing the extent of the damage and the type of substrate I am not able to advise of what option is best.

Good luck.

Reply to What can cause this type of damage in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen