Search the forum,

Discuss Warmup tape not sticking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aanddy

Hello sorry to keep posting but I'm new to this and want to resolve my main tiling issues

Most jobs I use slc over warmup and no matter which primer I use warm ups own or different acrylic ones depending on which slc and adhesives I'm using I find the tape lifting once the slc is poured on depriving me of a beautiful perfectly flat floor :( and a lot of the time even minutes after its stuck down.
I've used the warmup pro wire which is good and resolves the problem but its exclusive to Topps at the moment and most of my materials are supplied from elsewhere .

I've spoken to warmup about it and they suggested warming up the tape on a radiator before use to enhance the adhesion which helps a little but not enough.

Also the substrate is usually 18mm wbp ply or 10mm insulation board

Any advice would be most appreciated.

J

jonnyc

try using glue spray and then press mat down with piece of wood when its gone just tacky

E

enduro

If you are using a mat then a staple gun is good to fix the mat to ply etc. Just dont staple the wires only the mat.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't worry about posting a lot, it's what we're here for!

If you're buying UFH fairly often then checkout Electric Underfloor Heating | Warm Water | Under Floor Insulation | Frost Protection | Uheat as they can do trade prices for you.

Sometimes priming the substrate first can help as it gets rid of the dust and whatnot and helps anything to stick, whether using glue gun, tape, or self-adhesive matting.

Though it's not something new that you're experiencing to be fair. Quite common that UFH is a pain to stick down but it is usually always down to the substrate being dusty or whatever. I've used small bits of gaffa tape before now over the matting (again not the cable) on a primed floor and it works very well.

I

Ian

After laying the heat mat I always skim over it with SPF to hold it down, then SLC over. Stops the wires floating and gives a nice flat finish, also less SLC is used when done this way. As always, I have pictures!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354554271.141097.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354554287.336119.jpg

Sent via Tapatalk for iPad

B

bugs183

I've got an even better way of keeping the piggin cables flat, but it can get a bit messy!!!
I lay the mats down as normal (never cable, i hate that!), and check it all fits.
Then depending how big the floor is and how complicated the mat was to make fit i either:
take pictures on my phone, and roll it back up if it's straight forward, o:
if its complicated leave it down.
Then i do as Bri says above and skim rapid set flexible adhesive over the mat in one metre wide sections, it doesn't have to be all over or too deep. Then i get a meter wide roll or rendering mesh (looks like a huge roll of scrim tape) and cover the area. Press themat into the adhesive and hey presto all the wires are flat.
You can let this set if you have time, or level over with self leveller, i rate Mapei Renovation Screed.
The whole lot bonds together a treat, the leveller fills any remaining holes and you get a lovely flat floor.
But messy knees.

J

jonnyc

I've got an even better way of keeping the piggin cables flat, but it can get a bit messy!!!
I lay the mats down as normal (never cable, i hate that!), and check it all fits.
Then depending how big the floor is and how complicated the mat was to make fit i either:
take pictures on my phone, and roll it back up if it's straight forward, o:
if its complicated leave it down.

Then i do as Bri says above and skim rapid set flexible adhesive over the mat in one metre wide sections, it doesn't have to be all over or too deep. Then i get a meter wide roll or rendering mesh (looks like a huge roll of scrim tape) and cover the area. Press themat into the adhesive and hey presto all the wires are flat.
You can let this set if you have time, or level over with self leveller, i rate Mapei Renovation Screed.
The whole lot bonds together a treat, the leveller fills any remaining holes and you get a lovely flat floor.
But messy knees.
i think i know where you are coming from.
there is an electric heat mat company near me that puts a fleece or some description down over the cables and i have to say that every job i have laid over the subfloor after they have latexed over the fleece has been a very good finish to work off.
i must find out the name of company. i have forgotten thier name .
dave h recommends them .

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
I use DEVI myself , miles better as the whole back is sticky and once the floor is primed itstick very nicely. I usually only spray a spot of carpet spray when turning the mat. I was given warm up once , never again for me personally , was nightmare stuff with the 3 bits tape on the back , chocolate teapot comes to mind.

diggy

Reply to Warmup tape not sticking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen