Search the forum,

Discuss Wall preparation for tiling in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
So I've striped the paint of the wall ready for tiling, a thin layer of brown plasterboard has come of with the paint. House is 2006 looks like taped joints and painted. I still have a thin layer of brown paper on the plasterboard. Is this OK to tile straight on to? Thanks

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the wall on question

Attachments

• 20220208_152154.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
So I wet down the paint with a sponge.then scrapped the paint away,with the paint a thin layer of brown plaster board paper was attached. I'm using 3 small tilles to form a hexagon roughly 250mm x 250mm.... what process would u recommend? Please

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
The paper on the face of plasterboard should be grey (or green), it looks like you have you have removed or damaged part of that top layer of paper so personally I would be reluctant to tile onto it. It might be ok but why risk it, a new sheet of board is only 9 quid.

Reaction score
The paper on the face of plasterboard should be grey (or green), it looks like you have you have removed or damaged part of that top layer of paper so personally I would be reluctant to tile onto it. It might be ok but why risk it, a new sheet of board is only 9 quid.

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
The plasterboard is dot and dabbed onto the block work, would it be best to remove board and dabs then dab a new board onto the block work?
2 options-

1) Remove plasterboard and replace like for like using dot and dab method. I would also put some mechanical fixings in aswell.

2) Glue a 6mm tiling board to the existing plasterboard and mechanically fix with screws and washers through the board into the blockwork. This option is more expensive but less hassle and creates less rubbish as you don't have to dispose of the old plasterboard.

Reply to Wall preparation for tiling in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen