Search the forum,

Discuss Victorian Tiled Path Concrete Slab Joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

robhdg

TF
Reaction score
I'm pouring a reinforced concrete slab pathway to my front door which i want to tile with victorian mosaic tiles. the path will be 10m x 1m. i've been told to cut expansion/control joints every 2.5 metres. if i do that, do i fill these joints with screed and tile over them?

any advice

S

Spud

Not sure why you were advised to put expansion joints in so frequently,there isn't actually a bs standard which states how often expansion joints are required externally most bay sizes are generally 8m which generally follows the internal guidelines , if you have good ground and 100mm thick pour you should be okay without one ,
Are there any big trees or conifers near the path ?

robhdg

TF
Reaction score
Not sure why you were advised to put expansion joints in so frequently,there isn't actually a bs standard which states how often expansion joints are required externally most bay sizes are generally 8m which generally follows the internal guidelines , if you have good ground and 100mm thick pour you should be okay without one ,
Are there any big trees or conifers near the path ?

robhdg

TF
Reaction score
there's a gradual slope and i'm going 150mm. i had other advice not to put any cuts in at all. there are no trees, but i will be planting a hedge along the path. if i do cut a control joint in, can i tile over it ordo i have tomake a gap in the tile?

Reaction score
sorry meant to say you can tile over joint but decouple the tiles that cover the
joint in the concrete.You can do this by using a rubber tape which you can glue over the expansion joint in the concrete useing a flexi adhesive.Wedi do a tape
for their boards but it is not cheap,if you cant find rubber tape use your imagination.

Reaction score
you can tile over expansion joints.
you dont need control joints.
no extra gap in tiles.
all you need to do is bridge the expansion joint that you have in the concrete
with the wedi tape and then tile as normal.

Reply to Victorian Tiled Path Concrete Slab Joints in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen