Search the forum,

Discuss Using brick slips as a bathroom floor over old bitumen in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. What a fantastic forum. I have taken out the bathroom in our 1930s bungalow. The floor was tiled, and well stuck down. Removing the tiles has revealed a layer of bitumen painted onto concrete. The floor is solid and isn't likely to move. My question is this...what kind of adhesive should I use to lay my brick slip tiles onto the painted bitumen? (I am calling them slips, but my terminology might be wrong. These are the size of a house brick as viewed from above, but are only about 30mm thick).

Would any good flexible floor tile adhesive be OK, or does the presence of the bitumen mean I should be using something specific? BTW I intend to grout using a sandstone grout, and then seal everything with several applications of a tile sealer. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hi Johnathan, I would say if the bitumen is pretty old it should be quite solid and inert. I would give it a slurry coat with a S1 adhesive mixed with SBR diluted with water 50:50. Leave to set and dry out and tile with a S1 Adhesive. Must have been a old method of creating a damp proof membrane. Have tiled over similar in the past without issue. 👍

Reply to Using brick slips as a bathroom floor over old bitumen in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen