Search the forum,

Discuss uneven floor borards in the centre ? How too make level?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

Hi,
I have a slight problem on the job I'm starting next week, It's only a 4 mtr bathroom floor ,tiles going down are granite, floor is floor boards at the min with about 1 ft of concrete at the door way, floor has little movment when I jump on it. One of the problems is that when I lay my level across from side to side there is a dip in the middle of the floor around 1.5 inches! My plan was too over board with 6mm hardy , but I recon the dip will still be there. An ideas what the best way to solve this would be ? :mad2:

I

Ian

Get rid of deflection, then fit hardie, then SLC, the tile :thumbsup: I've had to do this recently, not 30mm but maybe half that, used weber floor flex.

2020Tiling

Problem is , I have to complete it in 1 day so slc may not be an option! could I just build up the tiles with spf after I have overboarded?

I

Ian

Problem is , I have to complete it in 1 day so slc may not be an option! could I just build up the tiles with spf after I have overboarded?

Even a thick bed adhesive won't be suitable for that depth, they can only deal with 25mm max. Why only one day? Can't you do the prep the evening before?

2020Tiling

Also before I over board the floor boards with 6mm hardy and spf, is it ok to fill all the gaps in the floor boards with silicone?

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Use bal fibre base leveller , straight onto your floor boards . Making sure their deflection free and solid first ! When it dries after 4 hours it's just like a cement backer board and has the same strength as 15 mm wbp plywood , plus you'll have a level floor , and no awkward cutting around shower trays or pipe work !
bal reckon that one 20kg bag will do 4m2 , costs about £30 a bag!

I

Ian

They all do 4 m2 but at 3mm depth, it'll take a few bags to fill a 30/35mm dip. And that depth won't be tileable in 4 hours, it needs doing the day before.

area tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No matter what you put down it will prob need to be done the nite before , just stating that even if it takes a few bags of fibre base it still would be a great option and faster !

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

No !! It's not a one day job!! Do it right or do it again

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score

If you have to complete in one day then it will take 3 days in truth as you will have to go back and repair. So In reality you can't do it right in one day.

SLC night before and tile next day.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Build up the dip with a strip of hardie down the middle 1st the hardie over the top, using addy to stick down, then screw down.
Still be more than a day job !

2020Tiling

Thanks for your replys .
Going too use 6mm hardy then use ( TA Fibre slc ) Goes up to 50mm , then come back the next day and tile it stress free !! :hurray:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What about the engineering side. Will the floor take the weight without creeping or deflecting. It's already bowed presumably there is a reason for said bowing...

Reply to uneven floor borards in the centre ? How too make level?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen