Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling to gypsum based substrates/backgrounds. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Just thought I would see who is using gypsum adhesives when tiling to gypsum substrates/backgrounds .

you might be using say anhydrocol or Anhyfix or GBTA etc on say an anhydrite screed but are you now using them on skimmed gypsum walls.?

Are you still using cement based adhesives for tiling to skimmed walls but using gypsum adhesive on floors , if so why ? .

look forward to who uses what and if so why.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
About weber qypsum addy i did ask weber rep about it.he said they do it in europe but not in uk as its not so popular. And if you will do everything by the book it will be fine. And he mentioned something about compact strength or something similar tak its not so good as cement based addy

when they tried it in the UK they did not see the sales they needed to justify the cost of bringing it in. It's nowt to do with compressive strengths....

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
thanks ajax. so the thinner the screed , may effect thermal expansion and contraction so would you say there is a need for decoupling mats to avoid failures?

Not necessarily as the screed itself is very dimensionally stable and does not crack like sand cement. However the new tiling standards recognise and recommend the need for uncoupling in far more cases than before.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
So what we are saying is, it's fine using cement based addy on Anhydrite screeds cos it says so ont bag and folk have used it on a few with no problems.
I remember int 80/90s it saying exactly that ont tin and folk saying exactly the same thing about PVA , ( Infact I've seen pva with 'tiling' in the instructions still)
do we think it will be the same in ten years time , folk saying " OH MY GOD YOU HAVE USED CEMENT BASED ON GYPSUM SCREED, YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A COWBOY AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TILING AND SUBSTRATES, yeeeee hhhaaa "
Just throwing that int mixer as well[emoji106]

S

Stef

So what we are saying is, it's fine using cement based addy on Anhydrite screeds cos it says so ont bag and folk have used it on a few with no problems.
I remember int 80/90s it saying exactly that ont tin and folk saying exactly the same thing about PVA , ( Infact I've seen pva with 'tiling' in the instructions still)
do we think it will be the same in ten years time , folk saying " OH MY GOD YOU HAVE USED CEMENT BASED ON GYPSUM SCREED, YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A COWBOY AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TILING AND SUBSTRATES, yeeeee hhhaaa "

Good shout Craig, I think I will stick with gypsum to gypsum for the time being, knowing I prep the screed proper, I reckon I could use a cement addy but???
There's always that but..

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire

I love how you managed to type that so I read it with a bunley accent... :) quite right though. My advice is always gypsum in gypsum and cement on cement. and .... What's wrong with PVA? ;p

I

Ian

Thing is with tiling, things change......nothing wrong (in theory) of the old way of doing things.......just new innovations (such as TM Anhyfix) that come along and its your call whether to embrace these new methods or not.

Nail on the head there Lee. Moving with the times. Yes the old methods work, but as we know, the new methods and products are 99% of the time, better.

Reply to Tiling to gypsum based substrates/backgrounds. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement