Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling through doorway? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonty

I'm about to tile the entrance corridor in my house which leads into the kitchen which i'm also going to tile. From the corridor to the kitchen there is a doorway. At the doorway do i put a full tile upto doorway or half a tile each side?
The layout from above looks like an L-shape, i know how to get the centre lines in the kitchen but how do i measure up the corridor?

Also i'm using beige coloured tiles, what colour grout do you think i should use?
thanks

T

TheWrightTiler

same as me

i done brickbond effect ruuning throughout

i centred the kitchen and centred the door so i had a full tile with a cut either side so in the hall the brickbond is vertical and the kitchen is horizontal

T

TheWrightTiler

see pics below

first one shows door from kitchen to hall second one shows kitchen, hall door top right

centre the kitchen to the door and run tiles into hall i have a cut either side of a full tile again see pics

use beige grout only if sealing the grout lines, i used sealguard aerosol

ta andy

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AllurePTS

I assume from your post that you are treating each room seperately but tiling with the same tile ??? ....I also assume it's NOT brickbond ???

In that case - I would say it's a matter of personal preference really ....if I had to do it room by room then I would tend to always go for the even balance of half and half ....however, I would definately consider taking the pattern straight through with no break .....rooms are defined by their walls whereas floors are continuous from one room to the other (if that makes sense) ....so I would say that would be harmonious, especially if the door is often left open . That's just my view as I say ...don't know if there's a definitive right and wrong here ??? ....be interesting to hear what others say.

Not sure what you mean about "measuring the corridor" ....like wright says - continue from one room to the other

J

jonty

thanks for replys.

This is my fourth tiling project but the last three were pretty basic- outdoor step, splashback, garage floor. But this one is more complicated.

There are three doorways in the corridor+ kitchen doorway,leading to rooms whose floors are covered in laminated wood with brass coloured strips in the middle of the doorway- what happens when i put down my new tiles if they are higher than the current laminated wood in those rooms? What do i use to connect the laminated floor to my tiles in the doorway? cheers

B

Bolter

Also i'm using beige coloured tiles, what colour grout do you think i should use?
thanks

I would say either Ivory grout, or Limestone. Both look great with stone colours, and beige's etc

But thinking about it, there are probably a million different beiges, so if you post a photo of the tile that would help :)

J

jonty

thanks for replys will look into those

but trying to lift the laminate wood floors in the corridor, seem to be very tight, have not lifted one yet- is there a knack to it? cheers

M

medlar

full tile in the centre of doorway,and my choice of grout colour would be IVORY or even SANDSTONE

Reply to Tiling through doorway? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen