Currently reading:
Tiling Steps job.

Discuss Tiling Steps job. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,

I've got a job to do where I have been asked to tile some steps. Got a few question's, so will try to keep it brief.

Firstly, does anyone know who can supply Dural Stepsafe around South Manchester or in UK?

Secondly, there is a picture of the steps in question below. Do you think the bottom riser needs to be built up, so all risers are equal? Thesecond and third riser are 20mm different also!

Finally, choice of tiles. I'm looking for some red quarry tiles 300x300. Anyone know a supplier? My local shop doesn't have any, and seems to think they maybe hard to find!!

Thanks in advance.

Denis

Thanks for the quick reply Del.

I've been wondering about where you get the tape, so that answers a question I hadn't even asked yet. :thumbsup: Your link reminded me of a company I know that makes industrial signs nearby, so cheers for jogging my memory, and I've got a 2nd option added to my favourites. :lol:

The stepped entrance is to 12 residential flats, so I am classing it as a heavy traffic area and recommending metal strips to give added protection to the edge's eg. when it comes to people moving house, or delivery men with a new washing machine etc.

The steps are made of concrete BTW. 3.78m wide. They were built a few years ago, and the carpark has just been relaid with tarmac, which is why the bottom step is not even half of what the others are. The tiling is planned for later this year, so any prep work required to make all the risers equal will be around July/August. Then fixing tiles/grouting late Aug/Sept.

No worries about the tiles. I've got plenty of time to come up with some suggestions!!

The customer is Private Co-op, so I already accept the responsibility of my advice. That is a big concern to me always, so I will do further research on it this week and check with my insurance co.

I know in this case that if anything does go wrong, it is me that has recommended it to the owners of the 12 flats. Therefore, if anything did happen, and they were looking for someone to blame, that someone would definately be me!! I know I need to ensure I am covered to do this job.

So, what I need to check is - If I don't change to equal height risers, I would be liable for leaving them as a trip hazard to blind/partially sighted or elderly? And if I do change to equal height risers, then I am liable because I changed it. Damned if I do and damned if I don't by the sounds of it.

Looking into the Ruabon Large Format Quarry Tiles 306mmx306mm. That's the kind of thing I envisaged, and the company seems to provide other tiles that are upto spec with BS and DDA.

I will check the situation out regarding building regs and the risers. I would feel happier if they were all equal, and I feel certain that is what building regs will specify for an area used for public access.

S

Spud

the tiles need to be at least r10/r11 slip resistant and you will need to make all the risers equal and all the tread widths equal, this gives a uniform staircase so if a blind persons walks on them they wont fall over them and hurt themselves,you have a few methods of doing this one is to render the steps then tile them or the other is to tile the risers first and let them go off then set the treads in sand and cement

Thanks for the advice about tiles Gary. I'll make sure I check that non-slip spec. I was planning to scarify, clean & render the concrete steps first.

Some very nice tiling there hillhead. Cheers for sharing. I do like the granite, but don't think the overall budget will stretch that far for this job. Most of the co-op funds have been spent on the tarmac car-park, line painting and sorting the grounds out. So it's last slice of the cake scenario for the tiling. They just want the most economical tile that is upto the job.

Who is the customer? Private co-operative/council etc.
I'd check your commercial insurance policy and BS standards/building regulations for step heights/non slip surfaces to to see if by altering the proportions of these steps you become liable.

Hi John,

I've just renewed my policy for the next 12 months and I am covered. Thanks for the tips.

Denis (DJS)

Reply to Tiling Steps job. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.