Currently reading:
Tile Spacer Sizes

Discuss Tile Spacer Sizes in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jelthetiler

The chances are that the ceiling isn't level so you'll have to snip a few mm off the top ones anyway. I'd just use 2mm spacers, the smaller the gap the better/smoother the grout has to be. I also find that rarely are tiles 100% straight these days so having 1.5mm gaps and a tile that's .5mm out will shut your grout space down even more.
Dare I say, Rubi 2mm white solid spacers are the better option for not crushing.

M

MrC

Thanks - I would prefer not to use 1 1/2mm spacers for the reasons you mentioned. I laid out full height of tiles and spacers on laminate to avoid crushing and to measure finished height. 22 grout lines between tiles. 1/2mm difference in spacer thickness = 11mm difference in height.

With a spacer thickness of exactly 1.8mm the height of tiles and spacers was 2292mm. With 2.0mm it would be 2296mm. Height from shower tray to ceiling = 2300 going up to 2305, leaving a gap of between 4 to 9 mm between top row and ceiling...

M

mikeyd859

The chances are that the ceiling isn't level so you'll have to snip a few mm off the top ones anyway. I'd just use 2mm spacers, the smaller the gap the better/smoother the grout has to be. I also find that rarely are tiles 100% straight these days so having 1.5mm gaps and a tile that's .5mm out will shut your grout space down even more.
Dare I say, Rubi 2mm white solid spacers are the better option for not crushing.

agreed on the rubi 2mm. have used others in the past but the rubi seem to be spot on in size and dont crush under heavy loads

M

MrC

Actually I asked simple questions, seeking advice, if you care to read my post. If I wanted to converse with idiots to obtain flippant and singularly unhelpful replies I could go to many other places. The first was if spacer size is nominal or exact. The second was how to avoid an unsightly narrow gap between top row of tiles and the ceiling. The point I was making is that, without thought beforehand, the cumulative effect of spacing gaps would have a significant effect with small tiles.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Actually I asked simple questions, seeking advice, if you care to read my post. If I wanted to converse with idiots to obtain flippant and singularly unhelpful replies I could go to many other places. The first was if spacer size is nominal or exact. The second was how to avoid an unsightly narrow gap between top row of tiles and the ceiling. The point I was making is that, without thought beforehand, the cumulative effect of spacing gaps would have a significant effect with small tiles.[/

Ok, another response from this idiot .

You are talking flies wings here not cm's or inchs.

To us mere idiots in the building trade .02 of a mm (or whatever the minute amount is) will make no difference at all, we would use our skill and small brains to work it out.
Like i said in my flippant post above, you will have more difference in a few tiles than your spaces,.
Hope this helps

Ps are you a engineer ???? Just wondering [emoji106]

Reply to Tile Spacer Sizes in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement