Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Adhesive & Grout Classifications S1 S2 C2 Etc Explained in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

united

TILE ADHESIVE AND GROUT CLASSIFICATIONS

I always get mixed up or forget what the number/Letter
combinations for the classification of adhesive and Grout mean and everytime I try to look for a guide on here I can never find one so I thought I would start one off myself.

Please feel free to add to it or correct me

Type C - Cementitious (Cement based Adhesives)
Type D - Dispersion (Ready mixed / Tubbed)
Type R - Resin (Epoxy)

TILE ADHESIVE CLASSIFICATIONS
Extra characteristics are described by the numbers and letters below

1 - Normal Adhesive
2 - Improved Adhesive
F - Fast Setting
T - Thixotropy (Reduced slip/ Slip Resistance)
E - Extended open time
G - Grout

S - Elasticity / Flexibility / Deformability
S1 = Deformable (Flexible)
S2 = Highly Deformable

TILE GROUT CLASSIFICATIONS

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
  • TILE ADHESIVE ANS GROUT CLASSIFICATIONS

Spot on with your summary! The adhesion test (C) is the most difficult to pass because the adhesive is put through a series of tests, freeze/thaw cycles, water immersion etc and then the bond strengths are measured after 28 days. C1 is greater than 0.5 N/mm2 after all the different cycles and C2 is greater than 1 N/mm2.

Adhesives classed C2 may well have some flexural properties because you do need a reasonable addition of polymer to achieve the C2. The official start for the flexibility/deformability test starts with the S1 which is greater than 2.5mm of flex and then the S2 is greater than 5mm flex.

There are a lot of flexible adhesives on the market these days, if you are using an S1 or S2 rated adhesive you can have that extra piece of mind!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mattle40

I think a lot of the time the classification is too broad
Bal SPF has always been my go to adhesive really which is a C2TE.
I'm now Moving to mapei and their two C2TE adhesives, the p9 and p10 both have different specs to each other and both different from bal spf.

I think this is mostly why the trade counters and a lot of fitters don't know the classifications because to a point they're irrelevant if there can be so much variation within them

N

NZ_Tiler

Grout classification isn't showing up on my end.

W= more resistant to water
A = better abrasion resistance

C & R are the same as adhesive properties. ..

N

NZ_Tiler

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think 1N/mm2 is roughly 9kg of pulling pressure

Reply to Tile Adhesive & Grout Classifications S1 S2 C2 Etc Explained in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen