Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
I am tiling a shower enclosure. Having read advice about tanking the walls before tiling I just don't understand the logic. The tanking is presumably to prevent water getting through the grouting and the adhesive and into the wall. Having tanked the wall and water has penetrated through the grout and adhesive what happens next? Where does the water go and what then happens to the adhesive and the tiles?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I am tiling a shower enclosure. Having read advice about tanking the walls before tiling I just don't understand the logic. The tanking is presumably to prevent water getting through the grouting and the adhesive and into the wall. Having tanked the wall and water has penetrated through the grout and adhesive what happens next? Where does the water go and what then happens to the adhesive and the tiles?
The tanking is to prevent your substrate from being destroyed by constant wetting if water does happen to penetrate, its a preventative measure incase of penetration or in an upstairs wetroom floor, stopping water from seeping through the ceiling. The adhesive extra will wet and dry with no issues.

Paulg83

TF
Reaction score
It's extra peace of mind but water should not get through the tiled installation if done properly even without tanking it first.

Reaction score
Thanks, the peace of mind would be better increased by using an epoxy grout that has also been sealed. Who wants water behind their tiles?
Not me mate!

Reply to Tanking? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen