Search the forum,

Discuss Should I board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Gnasher

TF
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to tile my sons bathroom where most of the the skim plaster has come off when removing the few tiles there were and the rest of the bathroom is covered in artex, which is quite old and probably contains asbestos. Under the plaster is a very absorbent soft plaster, I asusme this could be browning but not sure. I was thinking the easiest and quickest way to deal with this is to simply board it out with 6mm cement board and mechanically fix it to the walls, asking the plumber to allow for this when fixing the new bath etc. Any thoughts or better solutions would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Gnasher

jdnest

-
Reaction score
Hi Gnasher

If I've read it correctly you're tiling the walls?

I'd use a backerboard such as Jackoboard over the old stuff and tape/seal/tank as you mentioned you're doing anyway. They add much less weight to the room and give a perfect surface or tiling. Plus they're easy to size in the room, just score and snap.

Just make sure you fix the boards securely to the walls to take the weight of there tiles.

Hope that helps.
J

Reply to Should I board in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen