Search the forum,

Discuss Removing anti-crack matting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

W

wiggers

I had a very poor tiling job done in the summer by a general builder and I've got a professional tiler in at the moment. The tiles came up very easily but there's and anti-crack mat underneath. We've found a lot of water under this mat, so we want to lift it and let the screed dry properly. It was laid when the screed was only 4 weeks old.

Any suggestion for getting the matting and underlying adhesive off the screed please?

IMG_20200106_110914.jpg

IMG_20200106_144616.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's going to be a pain in the bum with any method but scrapers and old chisels and the likes are perhaps going to be easiest. Lots of elbow grease and patience.

If you (or your tiler) has a Fein Multimaster or one of the many variations from other makes (Bosch and even Lidl own brand) with the rasp square head that can help on the odd stubborn bit.

Then for the last bits of adhesive rub house bricks over the floor - very dusty job so then an old hoover and open windows etc

Good luck second time round!

Joshjupp

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I had a very poor tiling job done in the summer by a general builder and I've got a professional tiler in at the moment. The tiles came up very easily but there's and anti-crack mat underneath. We've found a lot of water under this mat, so we want to lift it and let the screed dry properly. It was laid when the screed was only 4 weeks old.

Any suggestion for getting the matting and underlying adhesive off the screed please?

View attachment 111681

View attachment 111680
You could try rip up the matting it should pull up with a bit of effort and a floor scraper and then get a floor grinder for the adhesive and a good dust extractor

W

wiggers

I think it's a normal lean-mix screed and it has a water underfloor heating system.

D

Dumbo

To be fair a 4 week old screed shouldn't have a moisture issue when using dural ci matting or Schluter ditra . I think you need to be considering the possibility of ufh pipes leaking or some other water pipes

W

wiggers

We were concerned that the moisture might be coming from the UFH. We hoped that once the anti-crack mat came off we might be able to see what was happening more clearly. The UFH was supposed to have been pressure tested...

W

wiggers

We've got half the mat up, although the adhesive is still firmly in place. There are damp patches, but they don't follow any particular pattern, so it doesn't look like an UFH leak. In areas where the screed has broken away the underlying areas appear dry.

IMG_20200109_084953.jpg

J

J Sid

Laying mat (with ditra) and tiling after 4 weeks is fine with sand and cement screed.
Damp could just be moisture coming out the screed

Reply to Removing anti-crack matting in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen