Currently reading:
rapid set on hot day

Discuss rapid set on hot day in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GazTech

For an adhesive to “flash set” requires an increase in the exothermic reaction of the adhesive. This is normally caused by either singularly or a combination of:-
·The on-site temperatures being elevated (i.e. above 20 0C)
·The adhesive being mixed incorrectly (liquid added to the powder).
·The adhesive being mixed with a drill mixer at high speeds (above 300 RPM) thus introducing additional heat into the mixture.
·The amount of adhesive actually mixed

As a general note when using any rapid setting adhesives particularly when subjected to elevated site temperatures, the following general precautions are recommended.
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ensure that the adhesive is stored in cooler conditions before tiling commences.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]If a drill mixer is employed always mix on a ”slow speed” i.e. below 300rpm.
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mix smaller quantities.
These steps can all help to increase the working time of the rapid setting adhesives where temperatures on site are above 20°C.
When conditions become unbearable and Rapid set is unsuitable, then revert to a Single part or slow setting adhesive.....Gaz

P

Perry

For an adhesive to “flash set” requires an increase in the exothermic reaction of the adhesive. This is normally caused by either singularly or a combination of:-
·The on-site temperatures being elevated (i.e. above 20 0C)
·The adhesive being mixed incorrectly (liquid added to the powder).
·The adhesive being mixed with a drill mixer at high speeds (above 300 RPM) thus introducing additional heat into the mixture.
·The amount of adhesive actually mixed

As a general note when using any rapid setting adhesives particularly when subjected to elevated site temperatures, the following general precautions are recommended.
1.Ensure that the adhesive is stored in cooler conditions before tiling commences.
2.If a drill mixer is employed always mix on a ”slow speed” i.e. below 300rpm.
3.Mix smaller quantities.
These steps can all help to increase the working time of the rapid setting adhesives where temperatures on site are above 20°C.
When conditions become unbearable and Rapid set is unsuitable, then revert to a Single part or slow setting adhesive.....Gaz
or not the right mix lol

Reply to rapid set on hot day in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.