Search the forum,

Discuss Questions about tiling quality in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As Neale ( Sir Ramic) says dot and dab:yikes: very wrong:mad2: Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

albyshellshear

stop him now I think he knows nothing about correct ways of tiling dot and dab is a coplete NO NO it is not a tilers way of fixing tiles the tiles are likely to fail.:ban::ban::ban::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

N

nooker

Ok, I have stopped him (around half the room has been tiled), I am on call today so I can't post many updates but I think I'm going to have to leave it till Monday till I can get another tiler in. I might use the recommended tilers here for that. Thanks everyone.
P.S. Will the new tiler be able to remove any of the old tiles and reuse them? I'm going to pull them off now before it completely dries, is there anything I need to do to the tiles to ensure they can be reused?

Can't go to that link unfortunately (open to trades people only and as I have probably made very obvious I don't have much of a clue about tiling). I will use google to try and find information about it regardless, thanks for the link anyway.

N

nooker

Aw that's a shame. Ah well, nothing I can do now I guess. Got to go to work soon, I'll post any new updates.

Before I do anything, this is photo showing what you can see from the top of one of the tiles placed yesterday (the newer tiles are too high to photograph since they are now being put in the vertical orientation). Should I have the new tiler remove all these tiles?

Photo from the side of a vertically orientated tile: here.

C

charlie1

Ceramic tiles are not really that heavy! each tile will be heavy but that's because they are big!, in relation to weight per m2 though, this is more dictated by thickness and density of the tile!!, depending on the amount of coverage that each tile has, it may be ok! now, ivee only been professionally tiling now for about 3 years, however ive been doing it casually for a hell of a lot longer than that! although this is not the correct way(or my way) of fixing tiles I do not think the tile you see in the picture would have fallen off by itself!

Go round all the tiles and test them for coverage by tapping a coin against them, if there are more hollow than dull noises then this would be a concern!

Listen guy's lets not all jump on the shouldn't dd band wagon right away as this guy is now looking at retiling half his bathroom which may not be necessary! lets asses it first and then give a more accurate opinion!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

There are thousands of ways a job can be wrong, only one way it can right:yikes:

T

Time's Ran Out

Having seen the pictures of the tile that has been taken off it has about 60% coverage! As long as you do not need to drill where there is no adhesive and assuming the plaster wall was primed - you may find the tiles fixed will be okay.
Obviously it should have been solid bed fixed but its your decision on the way forward - taking into account the cost of replacing the tiles/ repairing the walls - or leaving as is if you are happy with the standard of tiling.
You may find it easier to get a new tiler if he is going to undertake the full job.
You should however make sure the builder is aware of your concerns with reference to this workmanship before you remove any of the tiles and ask if he would like to remove them before the problem is exacerbated and he has to repair the walls!
Administration will be able to provide a tiler to estimate in your area if you supply your location.

Reply to Questions about tiling quality in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen