Search the forum,

Discuss Progressive hole in porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

1animal1

Hi all

I am about to start laying some 600x300x10 tiles, the first 2 of which will have 15mm pipes going through them for the towel rad. The issue i have is that i am using speedfit connections which i have managed to get mostly into the wall, but have a slight protrusion where the chamfered part of the fitting sticks out, therefore i need to use my 18mm ATS bit from the front for the 15mm pipe (bit of margin for error!), then some how chamfer the back of the tile to accept the speedfit fitting - I have bought a further 32mm bit to attack the tile from behind to drill halfway, to hopefully file down - from what i am reading, filing isn't really an option for porcelain.

Can anyone offer any advice as to the way to go with this slight problem

Thanks in advance

Tim

O

Old Mod

I might consider that kit if these get blunt quick... The last 20mm I did earlier in the SDS, went a lot quicker for stopping and dunking in water..Defo the way forward
Get a piece of 6mm timber/mdf and drill your hole in this first.
Then place the board over your tile where you require the hole, hold or stand on the board and fill it with some water with a squeeze from a wet sponge. The board will stop the drill skating and the bit cool
Good luck.

D

Dumbo

That will be down to teqnique, every tile drill bit will be able to achieve at least 3-4 holes.
Even tho they are dry bits, they all benefit from a damp sponge being held against them.

In Topps tile they do a Rubi drill kit for £50, and it's actually worth it.
Sizes 6,8,10,12mm wax filled dry bits that have M14 threads to fit direct to angle grinders.
Not bad at all.
I've have heard the quality of these drills has gone down . Has anybody else heard this or experienced this

O

Old Mod

It was bad enough gauging the pipe entries off wall, nevermind the 4 relatively small screws for the towel radiator.... Surely that'd be a massive pain? I gathered with them being small holes and plugs I'd be fine drilling on the wall?
Yeah you probably will be. But if you fit the rad before tiling and you make a mistake it won't matter. Do it wrong when tiled, it's a whole new pain in the butt. You can then remove before tiling and mark and drill your holes away from the wall.
But drilling holes in walls is where the M14 bits come into their own, so much easier than holding a drill aloft.

1animal1

Yeah you probably will be. But if you fit the rad before tiling and you make a mistake it won't matter. Do it wrong when tiled, it's a whole new pain in the butt. You can then remove before tiling and mark and drill your holes away from the wall.
But drilling holes in walls is where the M14 bits come into their own, so much easier than holding a drill aloft.

I suppose you are damned if you do and damned if you don't - the rad will have 4 adjustable fixtures going across 4 different tiles. Luckily i think my bits will do the trick - here's hoping they are as good a quality as Erbauer

Erbauer Tile & Glass Drill Bit Set 3Pcs - http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/erbauer-tile-glass-drill-bit-set-3pcs/53634

1animal1

The ATS bits I had did look pretty crap tbf - they looked as though they had been lightly dipped in a glue, then had the lightest uneven coating of what can only be described as diamond dust (akin to someone waving a teabag over some water) - The more expensive bit obviously had larger diamond pieces, evenly and thickly spread, hence why it seems to last longer and cuts quicker....

1animal1

I gathered that would be the case but wasn't sure as seen quite a few jobs where the corners had grout :)

As I'm using grey adhesive on off white tiles that will have white grout - being careful! Would I be ok back buttering then trowelling adhesive onto the tile with the notched? I only ask as the grey seems to drop everywhere when loading the wall compared to white for some reason.... And when I'm doing the top tiles, it'd be easier if I could notch the tile back instead... Thoughts?

L

LM

I gathered that would be the case but wasn't sure as seen quite a few jobs where the corners had grout :)

As I'm using grey adhesive on off white tiles that will have white grout - being careful! Would I be ok back buttering then trowelling adhesive onto the tile with the notched? I only ask as the grey seems to drop everywhere when loading the wall compared to white for some reason.... And when I'm doing the top tiles, it'd be easier if I could notch the tile back instead... Thoughts?

As long as one is notched and the other is skimmed with the flat side of the trowel then it is practically the same thing. As regards grey adhesive making a mess, it's the same problem with white adhesive, the excess still needs to be cleaned off the tile and out of the joints thoroughly anyway before grouting.
Make sure your not mixing your adhesive too wet and load it in smaller batches onto your trowel and you should find it easier to control spillage.

Reply to Progressive hole in porcelain tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement