Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain tiles outside, which adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wight19

Hi, I am planning an exterior tiled patio, this is already laid concrete (cured for about a year). We have bought a quantity of porcelain tiles (30cm by 30 cm). What sort of adhesive is best for these?
I have sealed the concreate with 1:5 PVA, although it was not particularly absorbent.
I intend to place these tiles onto a solid bed of between 5mm and 10mm Could I use standard cement mortar mix, with a waterproof additive? Or should I use a Unibond waterproof 'tile on floor' type of ahesive? this states bed depth of 3mm - 5mm? What may happen if I were to exceed this depth?
The patio area drains well and the edges of the tiled area will be waterproof flexible filler to allow for any movement and the grout will also be waterproof.

Thanks for your help, Tony.

M

Matty A

Hi Tony

Was gonna reply the same day you posted the thread but i wanted to see what the others thought as they have had more experience than me.

There is a product called BAL Green Screed that is highly flexible, Suitable for fixing Porcelain and is suitable for exterior use i have read good reports on this product as well.

Make sure you use a Thick bed solid bed trowel for 100% adh' coverage.

Hope this helps.

W

wight19

Thanks Matty A. and Admin for your answers.

That Powerspeconline is great.

Any thoughts on using waterproofed sand&cement mortar outside with porcelain? I've done a trial with one and its sticks like glue. (or will they all pop off in the winter?)

Regards, Tony

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Porcelain has a really low water absorbtion rate, i'd use porcelain adhesive for it, if it was a quarry you're stucking down then it might be different, but it's porcelain and even inside you'd have to use special adhesive that can stick to the surface of the tile and doesn't need to soak in, which is how just sand cement would work.

Short answer: Don't do it.

W

wight19

Thanks Admin, that clears that up!

I am thinking down the line of Bal Gold Star, its ok outside, for porcelain (with porcelbond added), will be ok up to 12mm in places and waterproof to boot.

What should these bags cost me? I have 20 m2 to cover.

Regards, Tony

M

Matty A

Hi Tony
I believe Gold star is not a flexible adhesive and it req's BAL Admix which costs more than the adhesive Check out BAL single part flex it has porcelbond plus it is flexible it can be used on most backgrounds and is suitable for ext' use costs around £25 + vat for 20kg bag (grey)
Coverage i think is about 5 sq mtr per bag.

And i believe BAL Super flex wj grout would be suitable as it has porcelbond,is highly flexable and suitable for exterior use cost around £12 + vat for 10kg bag.

Hope this helps.:)

S

Smiths

Go with Bal Single Part Flex (white), it should only cost you about £23 inc. vat. The grey version will be a few quid cheaper a bag.

Reply to Porcelain tiles outside, which adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen