Currently reading:
Plasterboard /ceramics

Discuss Plasterboard /ceramics in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Thanks for the input lads,to be honest I knew the answers been doing it long enough but just starting a job tomorrow for a client here who is supplying all tiles mats add etc,the builders merchants have advised him on what addy etc to use,half is on PB which I don't know how long it has been up hence I would always prime if it's old , the problem is that I normaly supply addy so I know what to get and where to go but when clients buy it themselves they get advised by the merchants who don't have a clue over here,Spain maybe the centre of ceramics, vitrified and porcelain but asking for primer over here is like asking for a well treated donkey , only bog standard acrylic available.As for soaking I've not seen the tiles yet but he keeps telling me they are ceramic,14 years ago I tiled a bathroom in white ceramics with cheap bog standard addy supplied by customer again,they all could be picked of the next day, cleaned them up and refined them with the flexy I use and soaked the tiles, no problem.

P

Perfect Tiling

I always prime plasterboard!! The issue was that if using a cement adhesive it can react with the calcium in the plasterboard ....the same way that cement adhesive will react with the calcium in anhydrite floor screeds or tapes that aren't alkali resistant. Also the primer will stop the plasterboard from drawing the moisture out of the adhesive and drying it before it can fully cure. This is what I was told anyway.....
If I'm tiling a wet area I won't prime as it will be tanked and the tanking systems i use don't require a primer.

F

Flintstone

I always prime plasterboard!! The issue was that if using a cement adhesive it can react with the calcium in the plasterboard ....the same way that cement adhesive will react with the calcium in anhydrite floor screeds or tapes that aren't alkali resistant. Also the primer will stop the plasterboard from drawing the moisture out of the adhesive and drying it before it can fully cure. This is what I was told anyway.....
If I'm tiling a wet area I won't prime as it will be tanked and the tanking systems i use don't require a primer.

I'm not sure how cement is gonna react with gypsum when there not coming into contact with each other ! If that was an issue it would have been well documented years ago

Reply to Plasterboard /ceramics in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement