Search the forum,

Discuss pics of latest job and my other news.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

redrex

Hi all,

Thought I would post a couple of pics and get a bit of a critique.....i struggled a bit getting my head round the setting out as the sockets could not be moved and the customer didnt want half cuts next to the aluminium splash back. The pics are a bit out of focus as my camera:lol: ( I think) had a problem with the reflection from the mosaics. The outside edges of the single sockets are actually over the grout lines onto the next tile and the double socket on the far right had enough gap to get a small cut under it. The main issue that I had was the small cut in the right hand inside corner...I just couldn't find an alternative and not end up with some really odd grout lines around the sockets and have half cuts next to the aluminium. Would you have done differently? worst thing was that the eye level cabinets are not level and that threw me initially....the tiles are nice and level. Overall i was happy with this-the silicone was a real pain though-may have been me but I used BAL microban and it does seem to be a bit more hard work than Mapei that I have used most of the time before-any one else experienced this? in fact i think I have been a bit heavy handed and just not totally happy with it, i have offered to redo it over the next few days(client has paid good money) but the client is happy-surprised me with a lovely bottle of champagne when i left....thoughts welcome...

On other news good and bad...was made redundant from my 'full time job' last week, a bit of a shock but then i figured that I could pull forward the 3 jobs that i had lined up over the next 6-8 weeks (previously fitting in around days off and weekends) and get myself going full time. They are not small jobs, so should keep me going- I guess every cloud has a silver lining!

In view of the above, I got myself around the tile shops wed/thurs/friday and finally managed to get into my local CTD (Hampton Hill) what a revelation! is it just me, or are they the most helpfull and pleasant bunch of guys? i love brochures and samples and discount booklets! Even if they where the most expensive out there, i would still buy from them with such a great attitude...but they are not, so yippeeee :hurray: see you Topps!:prrr:

and lastly....Weber adhesives and systems? Am I missing something or is not enough mentioned about them? I am going to have a crack with a couple of products on the next job and see. Any feed back from anyone who has used their products?

thanks for listening folks!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_7338.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7339.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_7340.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_7341.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7342.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 122
C

cornish_crofter

That's a really nice job there mate!

I just love the tiles and the way you've fixed them really does them justice - Well done.

Sorry to hear about your redundancy. A bit of advice, before you go full steam into your new venture, go along to the jobcentre, ask about their new business start up scheme. Grace's Dad (Mark) was gutted that it was available but wasn't told about it.

It may be that delaying starting up on your own may help a bit.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
hi redrex nice job. i use weber products all the time it has an exellent range there silicone is brilliant to. and u can get weber products from ctd if u ask. or contact weber and speak to ure local rep they will sort u out.they will come out and do a specification on a job to. so u know ure useing the correct products. and its all guaranteed. i agree with the bal microban its horrible to use. if u want to pm me i can give u weber numbers:8:

R

redrex

I'll save you the trip, although it could be 'area dependant', i was told that if i wasn't a Drug Addict, Alcoholic, or Ex-Offender, i wasn't elligable. :mad2:

taken the advice! just been up to the jobcentre, made the staff witness me buying some smack whilst knocking back a bottle of vodka i then belted the copper who came to arrest me:smilewinkgrin: HOWEVER....still not eligible as I have paid taxes, NI and havn't fathered numerous kids with various disabled, lesbian wimmin and have only claimed benefits for two weeks in the past 20 years....what am i to do....blimey ,looks like I will have to try and earn my living again by working hard:thumbsup:

Ed

beanz

TF
Berkshire
Glad you got the grant, how much did they give you? :lol::lol:

Enough to buy a years worth of Crack! wahaaaaay!!!

taken the advice! just been up to the jobcentre, made the staff witness me buying some smack whilst knocking back a bottle of vodka i then belted the copper who came to arrest me:smilewinkgrin: HOWEVER....still not eligible as I have paid taxes, NI and havn't fathered numerous kids with various disabled, lesbian wimmin and have only claimed benefits for two weeks in the past 20 years....what am i to do....blimey ,looks like I will have to try and earn my living again by working hard:thumbsup:

Ed

:lol:

Dont worry mate its the same in Spain if you are S/E it costs 250€ a month just to be in the system which gives you free health care and a pension after 15 years, if you add your personal taxes and taxes you must pay if you supply materials over a certain amount plus public liability insurance it costs you around 400€ a month to be in business and you dont get no dole money.
Lucius

Reply to pics of latest job and my other news.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
So probably a basic question but this is my first attempt at tiling and want to get it absolutely right. If I start with a full tile from the upstands, there are several sockets which would be in...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.