Currently reading:
Partnership or sole trader?

Discuss Partnership or sole trader? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

graham1708

Hi all,

Just want to know your thoughts on partnership or sole trading.

My mate and I have been tiling together for the last 12 months on a 50/50 basis. Lately I have been wondering how efficient it is with the both of us tiling in the same bathroom.

I know on a good background I can probably fix 10m2 on a good day but with the both of us on the job I recon we would do between 12-13m2.

I just starting to think about efficiency and time and whether I should take the jump and go it alone.

The other reason behind this is money, obviously with 2 of us at 50/50 our prices can be high as I price for time as much as meterage.

Any thoughts will be helpful. (Please vote in the poll)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

graham1708

often thought if it's worth my wife becoming a partner, albeit on paper for tax purposes. Talk to your partner tho' as he may be tinking the same as yourself and a lack of communication could have devastating effects on both your personal and professional relationship:smilewinkgrin:

I agree with you, the only thing is, he can get some work as his brother has a building site but I don't think he has got the confidence to go it alone.

I'm starting to think I have no option but to go on my own as bad as it sounds. I hope I don't come across as greedy.

G

graham1708

who gets what if/when you split up? it means somewhere another tiling kit has to be found, you'll likely end up pricing against each other in a work shy climate, if you're doing ok at the mo, keep it going and don't rock the boat to much,it may be you that falls overboard!

This is another problem I own the van paid for it myself. The tool are not shared eg. I paid for dry cutter, he paid for wet cutter and the same for all the other tools. I don't ask for anything towards the up keep of the van only fuel cost.

I would feel terrible leaving him without transport but I've been told by others not to let my heart rule my head but I find it hard not to.

G

graham1708

What if it was on the other foot and he had decided to go on his own, works both ways and your've got to do your own thing

At th mo the understanding is; if he found somthing better (income) I think he would take it.

I don't really see us competing for work in the future as I don't think he will do a lot on his own. He is a good tiler but I feel he is too slow and sometimes holds me up.

I'm more worried about his predicament than my own if i decide to go alone.

G

graham1708

how long has this been going on? have you ever worked on 2 different jobs and still 50/50'd the money? I wouldn't leave your mate in the lurch if it's only just started getting bad. Reap the rewards in the good times and stick together in the bad. That said if you've been carrying him all the time then really you have to look after yourself

Going on for a year now, only ever worked different jobs on site. It never meant to become what it is, it just happened

I do feel I've been carrying him.

Am I beginning to sound bitchy?:mad2:

G

graham31

Had the same dilemma me and ma mate went on the same course with the view to going into partnership.He ended up in a diff situation to me were he could do tiling for a good few months were as i had to work.So wasn't much of a partnership so i took the decision to end it all very amicably we had our own tools so no prob their.We bought a van my partner was talking it but know i've ended up way it.

I felt as if the both of us were holding each other back on decisions like advertising and spending money on our business.Now i only have to answer to myself(and the wife of course)and only now i feel like i'm starting out even tho i've done tiling jobs over the months.

We were advised at the start not to go into partnership and didn't listen but Darren was right.

G

graham1708

Had the same dilemma me and ma mate went on the same course with the view to going into partnership.He ended up in a diff situation to me were he could do tiling for a good few months were as i had to work.So wasn't much of a partnership so i took the decision to end it all very amicably we had our own tools so no prob their.We bought a van my partner was talking it but know i've ended up way it.

I felt as if the both of us were holding each other back on decisions like advertising and spending money on our business.Now i only have to answer to myself(and the wife of course)and only now i feel like i'm starting out even tho i've done tiling jobs over the months.

We were advised at the start not to go into partnership and didn't listen but Darren was right.

WOW! I'm so glad I'm not alone on this issue, I'm starting to feel better already, cheers m8

G

graham31

Graham, before you rush into hasty decisions, ask if you're partner is holding you back or just doing a thorough job.Times are hard and going to get harder over the next few months, have a good look at what you're doing, go out for a couple of beers with your partner on the notion that you both need to discuss future plans!
Great suggestion.............look at all the options......................but it sounds like you kinda have your mind made up Graham

G

graham1708

Great suggestion.............look at all the options......................but it sounds like you kinda have your mind made up Graham

Money can't buy what you guys have(experience) and I just thought I'd ask before I jump into anything.

I'm gonna have to sleep on this for a few days. I'll let you all know the out come in the coming days.

Please keep voting :thumbsup:

Thanks again for all your help.

L

Leatherface

Hi,
prefer working alone and getting in help if needed. Works best for me.
If you do decide to join forces, then would be a good idea to seek legal advice and have a Partnership Contract drawn up.Dot all the i's and cross all the t's This will make things a lot more straight forward if either of you decide it is not working and wish to dissolve the partnership, a bit like getting divorced.

Reply to Partnership or sole trader? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.