Search the forum,

Discuss Overboarding with glue in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi, I've decided to have a go at re-tiling my bathroom.

Unfortunately, one of the walls has an asbestos board. I know ideally I'd get someone to remove it safely, but I simply don't have the £££.

So I was considering overboarding it with a 6mm tile backer board.

I don't really want to put screws into asbestos, so was hoping some sort of adhesive like gripfill would do the job?

I'm just worried that the glue won't take the weight of the board and the ceramic tiles (each one weighs 1.56 kg)

Would appreciate any advice, thanks!

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
I wouldn't rely on gripfill.

Prime boards, fix with tile adhesive and use mechanical fixings into the studs (if it is a stud wall) or wall plugs through into the brick.

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Speak with Hardiebacker about their hardiefoam. It's a spray on adhesive which is supposed to be suitable for masonary walls etc without mechanical fixing. They'll be able to advise if it's suitable for your substrate. Personally I wouldn't use it on a wall without mechanical fixings also, but ive used it on a floor and when the foam sets, there is no lifting the boards! It's strong stuff and with ceramic tiles, you might be happy to use it.

Reaction score
I would avoid the hardie foam for walls. You will have minimal points of contact… I don’t even trust it on floors.

Personally, i would prime and use tile adhesive along with mechanical fixing.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the help. I used CT1 which was good, but the board was so heavy, so had no choice to put some screws in too. Now I'll forget that asbestos was ever there and hope it doesn't get revenge in 30 years!

Reply to Overboarding with glue in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen