Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie with questions.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

wiltshire_boy

Hi all, great forum!

Been lurking for a while and using the search function but can't find the answers i'm after.

I've got a small (2.2m x 1.2m) ensuite to tile with natural stone (slate) tiles and wondered if i could ask a few questions please?

Three of the walls are 18mm WBP ply (2 will be the shower sides) and the other is plasterboard. I've read that i need to prime the ply with BAL bond SBR but should i bother with the plasterboard and where is the easiest place to get BAL products? Are they sold online or do i need to get to a Topps Tiles?

Or should i tank the shower walls instead?- it's not a power shower, just an electric one.

What would be the best adhesive for sticking slate tiles onto ply?

do i need to seal the tiles before applying them or is it ok to seal once they are up?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions straight off!

Cheers,

Roy.

D

DHTiling

Cheers......

Right...firstly i don't think ply is a suitable substrate for walls...it can expand with thermal and moisture.....I would cover it with a tanking membrane using a rapid setting flexible adhesive....then tile onto the membrane using a cement based adhesive as well....something like BAL single part flexi will give you plenty of working time......work clean and wipe any adhesive that gets onto the tiles as you work.....leave to set and then clean the slate with clean water.....leave to dry...then seal with a suitable sealer....follow instructions for drying times etc.....then grout and clean up.......

also it best to wipe the back of the tiles with a damp sponge before fixing to remove any surface dust etc........

good luck......

Reply to Newbie with questions.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.