Search the forum,

Discuss Newbie needs advice for making hole in slate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

Kestrel

Dear all,

I'm a new beginner regarding working with slate. I will try to build a turntable plinth out of a slate. I have a slate stone which is cut into right size by a craftsman. The surface is natural. For this I will need to drill holes for screws and also larger holes for motor, idler wheel and tonearm. The slate is 340x320x50mm, it needs about 15 small holes for screws that runs through the slate. It needs one hole for the tonarm (diameter about 23 mm). And finally the most difficult it needs a large hole for the idler wheel and the motor. This hole is not circular, but it is kind of rectangular.

What tools should I use for this?
1. Hole for screws (drill type?)
2. Hole for tonearm (diameter about 23 mm).
3. Large hole with right shape for the motor and idler wheel (drill may holes and use a kind of saw to make the right lines?)

Best regards,
Kes

B

bugs183

Hiya Kes!
Cut yourself a blank from plywood and drill all the holes you recquire into this.
Clamp this to the stone and use this as your drilling guide.
The 365 drill guys here are helpful, they'll sort you out with what you need.
50mm slate is going to be interesting to cut , so you may need to use an angle grinder to shape from underneath the plinth to form the hole for the motor assembly.
It'll look ace though!!

Reply to Newbie needs advice for making hole in slate in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

Advertisement