Currently reading:
New Tilers Support - 1

Discuss New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

altile

Re: Any new tilers stuck at all, with anything?

Thanks Dan. I have 2 questions relating to Travertine floor tiles.:
1) what is best cleaning product to prep existing ceramic tile floor for travertine to go on top of bal rapidset flex white?

2) 400 mm sq 12 thick tiles. What spacers? I prefer as small a gap as poss so was thinking of 2mm. Anybody horrified to hear that?

Many thanks, all.

G

GazTech

Hi Dan,

Slight problem, i have fixed some Q rock black porcelain tiles, they said at topps that they did not need sealing but i am struggling to get the grey grout out of them. Do you have any suggestions and what should i seal them with?

Many Thanks,
Sean.
Sean there is a Fila impregnator for polished porcelain,q rock is not a fully polished only semi-polished,dosn't need impregnator.Because it's surface is riven,and I presume your grout residue has stuck,use Fila extra strong residue remover,it will come up like new Trust me I'm a tile doctor:wink_smile:

J

Jeffrey4670

Hi, I am new to this forum or any coime to that! I am a Plumber/Tiler and have been for many years now and a large part of my work is bathrooms. I have recently purchased a Rubi TS 50 Plus cutter, which I find make's life a lot easier than running downstairs to my wet cutter. I have a job due to start that requires me to use large format Travertine tiles to be @ 45o. :icon9: I have a Rubi D200 Wet cutter, but feel could do with something better. This particular job can stand it:wink_smile: any help would be most greatful. Jeff

T

tiler tom

Thanx for the previous reply concerning tiling above a window. Now for a question of ethics. I have done a lot of work for a local builder but recently I went to a rush job that had a wall that dipped 20mm in the centre of a metre level. I told him it needed levelling. When I went back it had been levelled with browning I told him it could not be tiled. He insisted it needed to be finished so he could be paid. What do you do?

----
hi dan can you recomend a decent laser level up to 50 quid . And have u ever used nicobond adhesive if so what do u think ?
have a look in the screwfix catalogue or the website, got mine for 39 or 49 can't remember which price, well worth the money and worth havin in your kit.

Last edited:

Hi all, I have a bathroom to start very soon, now the guy has just fitted his bath himself, it was oversized so he has had to chop it into the wall at both ends ( cowboy stylee ) Now this ahs created a problem at the tap end of the bath, imagine if you can, all the plaster being removed above the taps to window sill height. If he plasters to the original plaste depth, and then I tile, the gap will be almost impossible to turn a tap on. He wants me to tile straight to brickwork behind the taps and then tile on top of those tiles above the taps, to create a 'step' to original depth and to fall in line with the rest of the wall.

Soooo, ( sorry for the long winded explanation )

1) Would this work ?
2) Anyone had similar problems to overcome ?
3) Any more suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

well if i was you i would'nt do it , tile it and any leaks and customer will come back to you, plus it will look stupid , could'nt he get the right sized one...

Mmmm, with the problem centering on the taps, I hadn't thought about the seal, he's a mate so, I'll explain the problem he might encounter.

Thanks.

I had this problem at my mums house, i removed all the plaster from the wall and then dot n dabbed the wall with 9.5mm plasterboard, you can then tile directly onto the board, i used the thinner board as it gives a little bit more to play with.
Hope this helps

Cheers,
Mark.

I think I might not have explained it properly mate, the whole issue is the space, or lack of behind the taps, seeing as how he's sunk the bath into the wall by about 20 mm.

Reply to New Tilers Support - 1 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this, The property unfortunately flooded throughout. Now although I'm told it's all dry now I'm reluctant...
Replies
Views
  • Article
This is the Morning Thread for Tilers Forums Discussion Thread We have a Morning Thread on each of our forums, and the Tilers Forums Morning Thread has been running the longest, we’ve actually...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can be found HERE but is quite long so not as easy to find specific posts. So tell us what you are up...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use for feedback. We have been established in Newport, South Wales (just across the bridge from Bristol)...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.