Search the forum,

Discuss New member, complete beginner, can you help? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

felix

Hi Olli welcome to the forums. I did the 4 week course at PTS in Harlow and I can definitely reccomend it. The course will teach you everything you need to get started. There after course support is good as well. They have helplines which you can phone them up to ask them anything ( I asked them how to get charcoal grout off my hands) Any questions you have will also be answered by the more experienced guys on here. Not seen them stumped yet

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
tiling is just not something you can learn an 4 weeks people should be giving you better advice about this

You're right, it takes years of practice and trial and error even after you've done a year course. But how can one get into the trade without having a short course to start them off?

Last edited:
F

felix

tiling is just not something you can learn an 4 weeks people should be giving you better advice about this

Nobody is suggesting you can learn everything about tiling in 4 weeks. Guys who have been doing it 20 years are still learning new stuff. The sheer volume of members of this forum who are making a living off the back of a 4 week course suggest that you can do it.

C

ChaseTiling

Hi,

I just joined, the names Olli, Im interested in doing a 4 week course, really with the aim of starting my own business afterwards. Can anyone give me any advise on start ups, courses, and just genrally the best way to go about things?

Cheers, Much appreciated.

Olli
Welcome to the forums Olli,

Any questions you have now or in the future about getting yourself Tiling Trade Qualified, including getting your CSCS card then please ask away. Please put your questions in the 'Tiling Training' area of the site :)

All the best,
Chase Tiling Academy

you can't learn it all in 4 wks but you can get a good basic knowledge to set you on your way..people who are "time served" learned in the same way..by being shown (after 2yrs of making tea and cleaning up).

Anyway..Oli..welcome to the forums..Mark.

Last edited:
G

GazLC81

Welcome to the forums, you have come to the right place to get the info you want.

On here there are loads of guys who have been tiling for many years and many like myself who have done a 4 week course and are now working for themselves.

As long as you are willing to work hard and are realistic about how much you are going to earn to start with etc you can make a business for yourself.

Best of luck
Gaz

D

Deleted member 1779

Hi Olli.

It seems you have decided to become a tiler and need advice on how to go about it from scratch.

Like learning to drive we all need to understand the basics. The courses available to you will give the basics and from those skills you will go on to develop a style.

I cant comment on the courses because I do not have any affiliation to any of them advertised here save to say that I supply some of them with equipment.

However as an "outsider" I believe there is a good living to be made from tiling and very soon word of mouth will be your biggest advert.

One thing I have picked up (I often visit PTS in Harlow) is that tiling is a skill for life. Which means that even if you choose not to do tiling full time then as a second or back-up income it is a useful skill to many people.

There are many trades and skills where you have to work full time to pay back the basics. Take for example a cab driver. Cab drivers have to pay fees, licence, badge, insurance, agency, unsocial hours up front etc etc before even thinking of getting a return. The cost to them of beig part time or second income is too much. So it becomes a full time trade. At least with tiling you can dip in and out as you see fit.

Best of luck

Reply to New member, complete beginner, can you help? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.