Search the forum,

Discuss Mapei primer G skinned over in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Bridgend
Hi,
I've previously posted in this forum about my first failed tiling attempt. I was able to take up the tiles easily after they'd set and someone suggested my primer may have skinned over.

Since then I've taken up all the adhesive and primer and have primed again with mapei primer g 1:1 and it has skinned over as you can see from my picture. You can also see that it looks like there are two different types of material on the floor. The material closer to me is slightly higher than the material that the primer is peeling off. I don't have a clue what the screed is and am wondering if that might be my problem.

My intention is to level the floor with mapei ultraplan self leveler.

IMG_20191024_211517.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
You seem to have some backing from some underlay or chord carpet there.

Have you rang Mapei Tech line to speak to somebody there? - They're awesome guys. Mention Dan sent you from the forum and they'll help you out as best they can.

Sounds like you might need to mechanically move whatever it is that's on your floor. Get right back to the actual surface to tile to.

You can use sanders and grinders and perhaps even a SDS to hammer away at it, create some scores for the primer to adhere into.

That all said, I'm not a tiler. So speak to Mapei for me. :)

Address

Mapei House - Steel Park Road, Halesowen - West Midlands, United Kingdom

Phone

+44-121-5086970

Fax

+44-121-5086960

Email

[email protected]

Url

http://www.mapei.co.uk

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Bridgend
Thank you for everyone who's helped me so far. Just an update for you. I've just poured my self leveling compound. The majority of the floor has about 4mm, but as you can see there are a few high spots where obviously the level is below the minimum of 3mm recommended by mapei. Shouldn't matter though should it? Because its only in a few small patches.

Attachments

• IMG_20191027_150346.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 36

Reply to Mapei primer G skinned over in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement