Search the forum,

Discuss Limestone stains in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

O

On one

Can these stains be removed or is buggered!
Looks like it hasn't been sealed after the plumber fitted the vanity unit top and has been stained. Don't know what has stained it,wether it was something the plumber laid on it or something the lady of the house has placed on it?

Attachments

• Newbiggin2 019.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Newbiggin2 020.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 65
C

Concrete guy

Any more info ATS?

The fullers Earth product mentioned above is a "poultice". It's a dry compound that naturally draws whatever is in the stone, out of it. Hopefully.

If you do manage to clean it up, use some stain stop or similar impregnating sealer. Leave a bottle with the customer and advise them to treat it annually after a good clean.

O

On one

The fullers Earth product mentioned above is a "poultice". It's a dry compound that naturally draws whatever is in the stone, out of it. Hopefully.

If you do manage to clean it up, use some stain stop or similar impregnating sealer. Leave a bottle with the customer and advise them to treat it annually after a good clean.
I would normally use Stainstop anyway....but theres no way I would leave a customer to do it! For by the stink,and the increased risk of a complete cockup,its nice to have a number of retainers I can always fallback on.

O

On one

Today's update..........Fullers Earth didn't work,so after speaking to LTP we progressed to Grimex. Started at 1:1 with water and then neat Grimex.....still no better.So back on the phone to the very helpful lady at LTP and await a call from the head honcho.
Meanwhile after a bit of digging.....I found out the stone was originally delivered as polished.....the lady of the house didn't like it and was sent back to the suppliers and returned to the job in a honed finish and fitted by the joiner/plumber, and apparently all manner of items were placed on it before I got there.
So could the honing process have removed enough mm to remove the sealer?(assuming it was delivered sealed)

O

On one

You need to find a local stone mason and ask them to mix you up, or provide the recipe for a hydrogen peroxide poultice.

Or do a Google search and see if you can cobble together the ingredients.

It helps if you know what made the stain to start with though.
I don't think we will ever find out what the stain is,wether it was caused by the plumber/joiner/customer because then the finger pointing will then ensue.
Not really my speciality or responsibility this one, so I will probably bat this one back to the customer.

O

On one

Can I just post something here, I had a similar problem with a limestone vanity, and it turned out to be the glue the joiners had used, it had a small amount of oil in it and the stone started drawing the oils out. I think this could be the problem.

Pebbs
Hi Pebbs, I can see where your coming from with this one. The marks are only in these two round areas and not any where else ie not in straight lines similar to the wooden carcase. The stain has penetrated from the top,as there is no staining visible from underneath,but that's not to say the joiner didn't leave his tub of glue on the top though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Limestone stains in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement