Search the forum,

Discuss Levelling over floor boards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

looking for some help to level a floor which is floor boards. I didn’t know how out of level they were until I cut some out to drop the shower tray in. Over 1800 mm it’s about 15mm out of level. It was easy enough to level under the shower tray but I can’t lift all the floor boards up and try to level the rest.
Can I lay a tile backer board or Hardie Backer board then self level it? The tiles going down will be Porcel-thin if that makes a difference.

Cheers
John..

9F423017-2565-4A6B-AD0F-F73276842FFA.jpeg

You can see how far the floor is out by the height of the ply

John

O

Old Mod

Yes you can fix 6mm Hardie with tile adhesive and then screw it down, or you can use their new expanding foam type of adhesive out of a can. However that’s brand new product and I’ve not read anything about it yet.
So I’d advise sticking to what we know works, especially with your choice of material.
So use tile adhesive to stick it down first then anchor with screws afterward.
Hardie screws are not the best, a bit like trying to use dry wall screws, they have a habit of snapping.
Most here use Turbo Golds.
Then tape the joints with scrim style tape and fill joints with tile adhesive.
Then you can slc the floor.
You know it’s not self levelling, right? :eek:
Make sure you fill any escape route for the slc, otherwise you might find it in your kitchen table instead. :p
A pinned roller will help remove the air bubbles and level it.
Mix strictly to instructions and let it slake for 2-3 mins (stand) and remix, it should stay that consistency then.
Don’t be a slouch tho, it won’t be long before it starts to turn.
If you keep an eye on it while it’s drying, you will get an opportunity to rub any high spots back before it cures. But you have to watch closely, it’s a small window.
Once it cures, if it has high spots, use a carborundum stone to rub them back.

Reply to Levelling over floor boards in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen