Search the forum,

Discuss Is this acceptable lippage? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all,
Recently had my kitchen tiled in a chess board style white & black 30cm x 30cm quartz tiles. The floor covers approximately 14m2. The tiler came highly recommended & has done jobs for friends & neighbours, I’m not so happy with the job he has done in my house. The job took 6hours from start to finish, he originally said 2 days but as it was a hot day he grouted too.
Communications have pretty much broken down, he offered us our £ back then didn’t show with it. Txt him a few days later & said there will be no £. Looking like the small claims court ahead. Pictures showing lippage & a map of the floor with lippage in mm. Can even put a 10p under a ruler with room to spare.
Any comments greatly appreciated 👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_9711.MOV
    61.5 MB
  • F16F7390-0177-4BEC-82C7-105A2E0D30F8.png
    91.9 KB · Views: 175
  • CE4FF919-0766-4BBF-9B20-975885EA782B.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 181
  • EB4FCFCA-F73B-428C-B490-2484C4203237.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 179
  • 175ED78F-B1FB-4CAD-8BC6-EBAC7406F7F4.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 2DA57B2C-5B1E-46C1-BBB0-ADF6470AA1B5.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 169
  • AA774D84-1D4E-4583-93C5-55C4C121F675.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 169
  • A71E76AB-2266-4004-BA61-07993166CB36.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 167
It must be bad if you can feel them under feet with shoes on do you have spare tiles that you can put together to see if they were different thickness was the tiler from Kilsyth
Aye it is bad. Yes he’s from here. Came highly recommend too which makes it even more puzzling as to why this job is such a mess.
yeah done that with tiles & measured them too. No difference I can see with the eye. Contacted who I bought them off & they confirmed they are the same sizes.

A think a no him without naming names the thing is a lot of people think he’s a good tiler but he has probly now done more bad jobs than good ones but still gets work
That’s grim. There certainly weren’t any warning signs of what was about to happen. Even showed him the bathrooms & spoke about doing them next once the kitchen was done.

A lot of trades now have Facebook pages and my builder feed back could you not leave a message on that if he has one to warn others a no it’s not helping your case rite enough if it was my house a would be rite to his door for my money back 😡😡
Yeah that will be getting done. Had him round the house & he offered us our £ back & left. Expecting it through the door the next day & nothing. Gave him a few days then contacted him & he said there will be no £ as that would be him admitting it’s a bad job. Hence why it’s now heading to the small claims
[automerge]1574006605[/automerge]
If these are Topps Starluxe then their spec for fixing these tiles is Bal PTB fibre plus with admix and they are a resin quartz. I'm doubting the admix was used here though.
Can only remember there was a Bal tub I took to the skip after the job was done.
I feel the floor is solid & have no concerns that it would move or break up. Seems to be stuck down well. Only concern is the volume of lippage everywhere.

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Glasgow
I'm less Inclined to believing it was a size issue of the different coloured tiles. It changes per image to the black being higher and then the white being higher and this is also shown in the video clip. I'm not saying they are the exact same thickness to the mm but if it was the case it would consistently be one colour higher than the other all over surely?

I'm less Inclined to believing it was a size issue of the different coloured tiles. It changes per image to the black being higher and then the white being higher and this is also shown in the video clip. I'm not saying they are the exact same thickness to the mm but if it was the case it would consistently be one colour higher than the other all over surely?
I agree.

FYI if these were Topps Starluxe range you should have had zero issues with size differences. 37sqm done and all were equal thickness 👍

View attachment 111210
Wow! That looks amazing. Not 100% sure what they are called, will have to check the invoice. That’s what I should have on my floor. Did you do this job?

Thanks for all the replies on this thread, it looks like my floor will be going to small claims court now. Who would be the best person to get a written report that would hold up in court? I have a report from a tiler already that I’m happy with, Ive looked into getting an expert witness report but that’s £1000 ish. Would it be worth contacting a tiler registered with The Tile Association as being a member of a body it may be stronger than a tilers report. Maybe even get another tilers report to back up the existing report?
Any help would be greatly received, also any tilers in the Glasgow/ Cumbernauld area willing to assist? (Paid for your time of course)
Thanks

D

Dumbo

Thanks for all the replies on this thread, it looks like my floor will be going to small claims court now. Who would be the best person to get a written report that would hold up in court? I have a report from a tiler already that I’m happy with, Ive looked into getting an expert witness report but that’s £1000 ish. Would it be worth contacting a tiler registered with The Tile Association as being a member of a body it may be stronger than a tilers report. Maybe even get another tilers report to back up the existing report?
Any help would be greatly received, also any tilers in the Glasgow/ Cumbernauld area willing to assist? (Paid for your time of course)
Thanks
If you're using a solicitor show him the report and see if he's happy .
Sometimes the court will appoint a independent professional witness

If you're using a solicitor show him the report and see if he's happy .
Sometimes the court will appoint a independent professional witness
Not planning on using a solicitor as I feel the photos & video evidence should be enough. Just would prefer this to be backed up by someone in the trade &/or part of a body/ association.

D

Dumbo

Not planning on using a solicitor as I feel the photos & video evidence should be enough. Just would prefer this to be backed up by someone in the trade &/or part of a body/ association.
Court is a funny place , representing yourself in court can be looked upon as being disrespectful to the people that have studied law to be there and go against you .

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Depends how much you want to spend, the TTA report will stand up in court.

Also even if you win in the small claims court , doesn't mean you’ll get anything back , as in a lump sum. The tiler might not have the ability to pay in full and could just pay , say a £10 a month.

Depends how much you want to spend, the TTA report will stand up in court.

Also even if you win in the small claims court , doesn't mean you’ll get anything back , as in a lump sum. The tiler might not have the ability to pay in full and could just pay , say a £10 a month.
Any idea how much a TTA report would cost? Would be happy to spend £ on this as you can add it to your claim ( just off phone to trading standards)
£10 a month is fine, it’s not so much about the £ it’s more about being right & not letting him get away with doing a shoddy job.
[automerge]1576084489[/automerge]
Small claims is meant to be done without a solicitor. It won't go against you be on your own provided you put your case properly. I suggest getting a copy of the british standard to show the work is not acceptable. Does anyone know where it can be got from, or even the previous version for reference?
That’s a good suggestion! Thank you I’ll definitely get a copy somewhere. Anyone on here have access to it? Send me a copy (will pay £) 🙂

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
Any idea how much a TTA report would cost? Would be happy to spend £ on this as you can add it to your claim ( just off phone to trading standards)
£10 a month is fine, it’s not so much about the £ it’s more about being right & not letting him get away with doing a shoddy job.

That’s a good suggestion! Thank you I’ll definitely get a copy somewhere. Anyone on here have access to it? Send me a copy (will pay £) 🙂

TTA is around the £1000 mark.

D

Dumbo

Check public libraries, some have bs 5385 for you to look at .
But as I said before it's not law it's not even building regs

Reply to Is this acceptable lippage? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement