Currently reading:
Is this a case of concrete still wet?

Discuss Is this a case of concrete still wet? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martino

I recently went and quoted for a 20m2 kitchen floor..i will be fitting 600mm x 600mm porcelain. the customer took up the old tiles and he said they came up really really easy. it was tiled the same year the house was built. could they have came up so easy because the concrete was not fully dry or some other reason?....I have never had to prime concrete before applying the adhesive is this something i should consider? before i lay the new tiles..the house is around 10-15years old now.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
With concrete you are more likely to have issues with it being too dry. If yo don't prime it and its too dry it will suck the moisture out of the adhesive before it has time to set properly.

Couple of questions... Are you sure it is ordinary concrete. Secondly can you describe (or better still post pics) the adhesive under the failed tiles e.g. Wet, powdery, soft, hard and stuck to the tiles etc etc....

B

bugs183

Could be alsorts of reasons.
No one primed floors back then, so it could just have been dusty, or it could just be duff adhesive etc.
These days priming is advised and it really does help the performance of the adhesive, just follow the manufacturers instructions.
How flat is the floor, it may need a topping of levelling to get it good enough for 600x600's in which case certainly prime the floor before levelling, it makes a huge difference to how well it levels and bonds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Ooh be careful with B&Q tiles, i'd shop around a bit as you may be getting low quality tiles for your money.
As Ajax says (he's our screed guru!) never use PVA, if your using Mapei then their Primer G will do fine, i apply it with a pump plant sparayer, much easier way to prime larger areas.

Hmm that's interesting as I was always told primer should never be sprayed... Brush or roller as this works it into the screed surface.

Quick question off topic... Do many tilers spray the primer?? Reason I ask is that I come across loads of tile failures where the primer has failed to penetrate into the screed so it doesn't hang on very well?? Might answer a question

as for b and q .... They do a nice range of porcelaine that can double up as salad bowls....

Reply to Is this a case of concrete still wet? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement