Currently reading:
how to deal with gap at end of bath

Discuss how to deal with gap at end of bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Freyanne

I got home from work very late tonight and found my plumber had been and moved the bath into the space, fastened to wall and connected the taps. Although he told me the bath fitted perfectly a few weeks ago [at which stage I could easily have boarded one of the end walls] now there is a 1.5 cm gap at one end. How do I deal with this as I've already tiled the walls on all 3 sides - just expected to be tiling the bottom row this weekend. Hopefully the picture will explain.

O

Onlinetiler

i guess you cant board the wall out now as its already tiled except the bottom course. The ideal scenario has to be to move the bath - are the ends of the bath wall to wall? If so could you budge it 7.5mm along to split the 15mm gap at each end in which case a decent quality silicone or tube of polyurethane adhesive (the type you use on tile backer boards) will fill and waterproof the gap and the thickness of the tile and adhesive should cover it. If you're stuck with the gap at one end and it isn't covered by the tiles then maybe a bath trim - I'm not a big fan of them but they do serve a purpose - Sealux do a range of profiles that will bridge gaps up to 25mm. You could also fit a good old fashioned HR Johnsons ceramic bath trim which comes in 15cm lengths and is fixed on with silicone after the tiles are installed.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
The gap doesn't look all that big but he should have equalised the gap.

Has the bath edge been siliconed and then squashed against the wall?

Has he used supporting timber underneath?

Does the bath feel solid?

If no to any of the above he has not fitted it right, there must a silicone seal from bath to wall before tiling, the secondry tile/bath seal needs something to fall back on when it fails.

F

Freyanne

Thanks guys! Overboarding is not an option at this stage - the walls on all 3 sides of the bath have already been tiled to the ceiling.

Tiles are 400 x 250 mm and about 9mm thick so equalising the gap might just work. I'll move the bath along a few mm before I tile the last row. Have just realised it's in place but not yet fixed to the wall. It was my job to silicone around the bath before tiling to be fair. There are no supporting battens but the supports that come with the bath are very solid - it's a very good quality bath.

F

Freyanne

No F. What I meant is that there is a vertical curve from the top edge of the bath over the end towards the floor. Depending how big the radious is it is likely that even though the tile is over the edge of the bath the top surface of the bath will backfall towards the tiles and hold water.

Thank you easyt - yes, there is a little radius round. I got the cut tiles on today and think I'll get away with a wider than normal bead of silicone. Fingers crossed.

F

Freyanne

The plumber coming back isn't an issue, he's still on site - will be fitting toilet and WHB tomorrow. It's more that I would have to rip out expensive tiles that I have spent time putting up and which would not be salvageable for re-use. If I am still concerned after siliconing I'll get some of the ceramic bath trims that Onlinetiler mentioned, I'd prefer not to have to use them but will if I need to.

Reply to how to deal with gap at end of bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.