Search the forum,

Discuss How can i improve my preparation in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi Everyone,

Plumber by trade but do a lot of bathroom refurbishments, have hired tilers in the past with mixed experiences.

I have not been impressed with the last few tilers and have started doing smaller jobs myself and have enjoyed it. I am not sure if i want to do tilling all the time as like the plumbing work more but would like to learn just so i have a better understanding & to try and provide good preparation for the tilers i do use so they can obtain good results.

I see a lot of people plaster all the walls before tilling a bathroom but i have never done this due to the time needed before you can tile (usually i am redoing the only bathroom in the house so 2weeks without a shower would not go down to well). Is there a better product to use to skim or flatten a wall rather than standard plaster which will allow for tilling say 2 days later?

I would usually dot & dab a wall if possible but some bathrooms i am working with millimetres just to get things to fit in the room.

with regards to walls on stud i usually replace/repair with moisture plasterboard then tank with a mapie type tanking kit, i do this around baths & showers.

Floors i usually lay structural ply then use schluter matting over the top (orange one with grooves)

Does this prep sound reasonable to you and what would you recommend improving?

Also as read on plastering forum never seal with PVA only a tilling primer .

Look forward to you responses & advice.

Thanks

W

Waluigi

Dont forget to weigh it down to keep it submerged. Its floatier than a floaty float on a float ride! :D

I took care of it:D

96201CB8-609E-423D-93A8-6673F873639E.jpeg

Good morning all,

Schlüter-KERDI-BOARD is waterproof inside and out , unlike most other tile backerboards. It has been extensively tested and , as stated on the datasheet, "has the required European Technical Assessment (ETA) as specified in ETAG 022 (bonded waterproofing assemblies) and bears CE marking. Moisture exposure class according to ETAG 022: A and C".

If you have any further questions about KERDI-BOARD or indeed any of our other products, please contact our technical team on 01530 813396 or email [email protected].

Thank you

http://www.schluter.co.uk/media/schlueter_db_12_1_kerdi_board_uk.pdf

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Reply to How can i improve my preparation in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully screwed in. The Tiler laid my 5mm hex mosaic tiles on a 2mm bed, so obvs wasn't going to drain. I took...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement