Currently reading:
Hi all - Embarking on first ever DIY project!!

Discuss Hi all - Embarking on first ever DIY project!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stanman

Hi all,

3 months ago we started a full house renovation that has consumed almost every working hour. Amongst the work, is a full refurb of our bathroom. I've never tiled or done any significant DIY before so this is quite a good learning process. I'm keen to learn new skills and welcome any advice and tips from more learned members here.

so far I've built a stud wall in the bathroom and managed to marmox board the floor and fit a shower lay for level access. Also managed to clad the stud wall with marmox. Sadly the remaining plaster walls are significantly bowed out. I've dot and dabbed 10mm board and fixed in 12 points for security and merged these with 20mm board to keep things level.

My my mosaic wall is also bowed due to bad plastering and I'm wondering if I should dot and dab over again to level OR Chop back to block work then fix. The walls are the crumbly thermalise stuff that doesn't hold up too well to a SDS chisel. They are also painted and papered over.

I'm wondering how to proceed from here. I'll post some pics when I get home to help clarify things

stan

S

Stanman

For mosaic Stan you want the straightest, flattest possible.
Everything you've done so far is preparation so now you need the finishing trade to make it added on value - get a tiler in!

Hi John,

I was hoping for words of encouragement! I'm really keen to learn new skills, so this will be my first attempt. Or am I making big mistake by not using a pro-tiler?

Reply to Hi all - Embarking on first ever DIY project!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement