Search the forum,

Discuss Hello from a beginner in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

K

Kaage

Hello

I thought i would stop by and introduce my self as I have a feeling im going to be hanging around these parts a lot and hopefully getting lots of knowledge off all you guru's on the forum.

I wont bore you with to much detail but the last two years I have been rather ill so I have been off work and the government has kindly offered to pay for training to get me back into work. Before that i was having a disastrous career in IT so I felt a change was in order. Having thought long and hard I decided Tiling could possibly be the thing for me, I have a keen eye for detail and love the feeling when you finish a job and everything looks great. So I started a Wall and Floor tiling course at Leeds College of Building a few weeks ago and I'm loving it!

I did 4 months dry lining as an apprentice 8 years ago and that is the total sum of my construction experience and knowledge so im probably going to have lots of stupid questions so please be patient with me and dont :mad2:

I already have loads of jobs lined up from friends and family but obviously need more time to hone my skills and get more experience.

I do have a few questions that i hope can be answered; I seem to recall a stickied topic that detailed the essential tools that a tiler needs to do a job, however I cant seem to find it. So can someone either point me in the right direction or if im just making that up could someone list what i would need to be able to complete jobs on my own?

Also from what I've gathered so far a laser level seems like a very handy piece of kit so i would love to have one but as im on a budget i cant afford all these fancy £200 ones. However I've managed to track down a very cheap one which looks like its good to me but would like someones opinion on it

Cocraft Cross-Line Laser Level - COCRAFT | Clas Ohlson

Would that do the job well for the time being while im training and for my first few jobs until i can afford something better?

Reply to Hello from a beginner in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.